Guitar Mate review by Traynor

• Reviewer's score: 5.8 Decent
Traynor: Guitar Mate

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

I'm using an Epiphone G-400 with humbuckers. It sounds good on clean but the overdrive doesn't sound very good especially with lots of treble. I play Sabbath, Zeppelin, Guns and Ozzy mostly and the overdrive really isn't good for anything from Sabbath, Guns and Ozzy. It's not bad for Zeppelin, sometimes. You start to get bad sound quality around 6 or 7 volume. That's plenty loud for any practising though. The distortion really isn't anything special. I got a Line-6 UberMetal and it sounds a lot better through different amps, even with the channel on clean on this amp.

This is obviously a very cheap, starter and practice amp. It's only $50-75 and it was my first amp. Not really a good amp at all for anything loud, or distorted (rock, metal) unless you have a pedal. I've been playing for over 2 years now and I'm glad I have a better amp. If this were stolen, I wouldn't care much. All I really use it for now is playing my iPod. I don't really like anything about it except it's small enough to play in the car on long trips and when I go to the cottage for the weekend I take it. When I got this I didn't know much about guitar stuff, so I just picked a cheap amp I could afford with distortion. Main thing I wish this had was a gain knob to change distortion level.

This amp would really suck for any sort of gig, except something really small. I'd get a better amp for a show, definately. Never know when this thing might blow out if you go too loud. The amp's never broke, but I've never really played with it loudly yet.

I believe this amp was made in 2005. Not sure where. I got it in March 2006, so it's no newer than early 2006. This amp is very basic. It has knobs for volume, high, mid and low. It also has a button for clean/overdrive channel select. The clean channel sounds pretty good but the overdrive isn't very good. There's no gain control so you can only get one tone for overdrive. This isn't a bad amp if it's a first, practice amp and you play mostly clean or have a pedal for distortion/overdrive. One of the pluses is that it has a headphone jack.

MOOSE_CCR99
    got it in a starter pack. it pisses me off now but its good beginner amp. after 2 years im finally upgrading this xmas. i love the headphone jack but other than that im not gunna miss this thing.