TRM40 Reverb Mate 40 review by Traynor

• Reviewer's score: 5.8 Decent
Traynor: TRM40 Reverb Mate 40

Purchased from: Renaissance Music

For the clean chanell I can get a very good sound, slap a bit of reverb and chorus on it and it sounds b-e-a-utiful. The distrotion chanell isn't the best. it's dark sounding but not crunchy - not a good idea for a show. It seems the more louder it gets the crappier the distortion is. If you are using the amp for a clean sound you'll be better off. If you want a good distortion though - buy a pedal!

My overall impression is that it is a good practise amp for novice players. Not a high-quality amp obviously. If you use it with pedals you can get nice sounds out of it though. I used the amp mostly with a Schecter Omen-6 Extreme, and usually got some pretty nice tones. I usually kept the EQ at LOW - 8, HI - 8, MID - 5, and Presence - 8. Even with the distortion I kept my reverb on at about 3. I always you a bit of reverb to keep it from sounding box - like.

It is actually quite durable, I haven't had any problems with it yet. But once again I would never use it for a gig. It has no grill or anything like that covering the speakers, so don't do anything stupid and you'll be fine. The power chord is attached to the amp which may cause accidents, but you can tuck it into the opening in the back when moving it.

It has a 3 - band EQ (treble, mid, bass) and a presence knob. It has 2 chanells (clean, and Distortion) each chanell has a volume and gain knob. For Effects it has Reverb and chorus. The Chorus effect has 2 knobs (depth, and rate). The Amp also has two imputs (high and low gain) and 4 outputs, and a output for a footswitch. It has 2 8" speakers.