TRM40 Reverb Mate 40 review by Traynor

Traynor: TRM40 Reverb Mate 40

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Let me make this clear, the overdrive channel on this guitar does not produce an intense amount of crunch. Now, I like this, however, if you plan on doing metal, this may not be the amplifier for you. However, jazz, blues, pop and rock can all be accomplished readily with the built in channels. I generally use a Schecter Blackjack or an Epiphone Les Paul with the Reverb Mate and generally I can accomplish every tone needed.

I generally play alternative rock and this amplifier can handle the distortion needed along with sometimes jazzy bits needed. If I lost this amplifier it would be like losing an old friend. Its a great amp, portable, unique, great sounding and with a bevy of features.

I have had this amplifier for five, going on six, years now. It has played reliably at countless shows and I have never experienced any issues with it. It has probably been the most reliable piece of gear I have ever used.

This amp is a great little alternative to the 60 watt, 12 inch speakered combos that you will find saturating the market. It has two channels, the ubiquitous clean and overdrive. Along with one set of equalization for both channels (with volume and gain on each), presence, reverb, about every kind of output in the back, and a built in chorus effect. It also has two 8 inch Yorkville speakers which help it match for sound the aforementioned 60 watt/12 inch speakered combos, even thought the Reverb Mate only has 40 watts. I have never had an issue with volume with this amp. When the venue your playing requires a larger amp, it will have a PA I've found, so you're good.