YCS100H review by Traynor

Traynor: YCS100H

Purchased from: ProAudioStar

After a bit of knob twisting and strumming and riffing it actually sounds pretty good, good enough even. It's not really noisy. It can be clean until the powertubes distort. The distortion when the boost is added is way over kill. On my lead channel I set the gain at 9am and use the boost. On my broken up channel I set the gain at 10:30am without the boost. The clean channel gain is set at 8am as well.

I play everything that is music and for the last 42 years. I bought it sight unseen, but knowing my ability to bring out the best in even the worst sounding amps, I had confidence I could at least manage an ok sound from it. Two days later I had a great sound out of it. I compared it to my previous amps, including the VHT UL and Lucky 13 and all my Mesa, Marshall, Ampeg, PV and Crate amps. At first I thought I would have to run it along with a amp switcher and my BV120 in order to have the perfect sound for lead solos, but I was able to tweak the amp until I got the right sound. It sounds sorta like a Hi-watt crossed with a Soldano without the huge power reserves available for the transients like those amps have. It can also be dialed in to sound thin and raspy like a Marshall or loose and fizzy like a Boogie*. *like when those amps are used by amateurs.

It has a two year warranty. I'm fairly sure I could depend on it, but I'm not ready to sell my other amp to prove it. The footswitch acted funny the other day, requiring me to click the Switch for the clean channel selection twice before it would switch. But today it works fine.

It was dropped shipped from the Traynor factory warehouse. It's brand new in 2010-11. It has what I need. Clean, lightly broken up and overdriven sounds. It has three channels with separate gain, volume, tone and verb controls, plus scoop and boost switches for each as well. It has a master presence and resonance and volume. It's all tube, and was shipped with EL34s but it can be set up for 6L6s. I intend to use it the same places I used previous amps, for live gigs, rehearsals and studio sessions. I'm sure it has plenty of power.