YCS50 Combo review by Traynor

Traynor: YCS50 Combo

Price paid: C$ 930

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

The sound of this thing is pretty incredible. I've been a pod user for a couple years, before that various digital boxes including a Tonelab ST, Zoom G2 etc. This is my first proper tube amp, before this it was spiders and such. I'm using it with an Ibanez RG 7 string for rhythm and a bit of lead for prog metal, prog rock etc. Ayreon, Avantasia, Falconer, Dreamtale etc. It does everything I need it to very well. Nice tight response to palm muting, beautiful clean tones and everything in between. The best part, it barely gets noisy even with the modern switch on, volume up full and the boost enabled. You won't be doing crazy death metal on this, but anything up to "St. Anger", the new Star One stuff it handles awesomely.

I've been playing for about 7 years now. I love it for my style of music. It handles my BOSS DS-1 perfectly fine (not like it's really needed) and using my Pod HD in the FX loop I can get my delays and reverbs easily. The only thing I wish it had would be a headphone jack for practicing at night, but if one has a mixing console as I do, the XLR line out gives you the full sound while allowing you to keep the amp in standby, thus bypassing the speaker. I spent about an hour in L&M playing it and the Line 6 DT50, and the Traynor won as soon as I heard that sweet, sweet clean sound. The incredible tightness of the response when I dropped it into modern mode and cranked it up just sealed the deal. You will not find a tube amp with so many features, such good tone, and one of the best warranties I've seen for this cheap anywhere else. If it were stolen or lost, I'd be back to L&M in a heartbeat. Only after I had another one would I go find the guy who jacked it. It's a bit of work to find a good tone, but if you spend an hour listening and playing with the switches, I'm confident pretty much any guitarist would want to get their hands on one of these.

I'd use it on a gig happily. I haven't owned it that long but it looks and feels very durable. The warranty can't be beat either, so even if it does break you're covered. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this amp was still just as playable in 10 years. I have every intention of finding out, I can't see myself purchasing anything else.

This amp has pretty much every feature you could need. So much versatility. From almost acoustic to "St. Anger" style distortion. Two separate FX loops, line out, footswitch, 15 and 50 watt switchable. The only thing it's missing in my opinion is a proper headphone jack, but there is an option if you have the right equipment.

sg4ever
    Hahaha, I just realized how creeper that was. I just commented, because it seemed familiar when I was reading, like I had read it before. I then realized...I did.