YCV40 review by Traynor

Traynor: YCV40

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

I'm using a Les Paul Junior with a SD Invader pickup running through some effects pedals before hitting the amp. I try to base my rig around great distortion, and thats where this amp fell short. Even if you had the gain at 10 it still didn't sound the way I wanted it, I tryed for hours trying every combination I could think of to get a good sound but never found it. I play alot of pop punk/emo music and this amp just didn't deliver the way I expected it to. It's very very quiet and it's almost a challenge to get feedback when you want it, something that makes some people very happy. There is a big difference at low and high volumes, at low volumes I was pretty happy with the clean sound but once you get up past maybe 5 or 6 the tubes break up a lot, so there goes your clean sound but it does give an edge to the distortion I was happy to hear. No matter what the salesman might say when your looking at this amp, it's distortion leaves a lot to be desired, if you want distortion buy a different amp or invest in a distortion pedal as I did.

Overall if you look at what you get for what you paid, your getting a pretty good deal, this amp can play most any music (excluding some styles) so it is pretty good all around. I would definitly recommend it to someone looking for a quality built product worth the investment. If someone stole it I would hesitate to buy it again and probably save up for something more expensive, but thats just me. I've played it beside my friends 40 watt Marshall, a semi-state amp and this one has a better all around sound, so I think that says something when compared to a Marshall.

If this amp has only one thing going for it, it's that it is built solid, nothing is comming loose and there are absolutly no flaws in construction, it's pretty good to look at and will last a lifetime. By using the standby properly I haven't blown a tube yet and would take this to a gig with no backup without question.

This amp was made in Canada and was designed to be used for many types of music, but not all. If your into blues or classic rock or any music that isn't heavy on distortion, this amp is for you. It's a full tube amp powered by 3, Sovtek 12AX7A preamp tubes, and 2 Sovtek 6L6B power tubes with the sound comming from a single 12" Celestion Seventy 80 speaker. It has 2 channels (clean and dirty) with "boost" for the dirty channel and a "brightness" setting similar to "boost" only for the clean channel. It has effects loops jacks and a footswitch with a 10' cable included with separate tone controls for each channel along with a master "presence" and "reverb" control. It's a 40 watt amp so it has some power for those looking to go to gigs with it.