YCV40 review by Traynor

Traynor: YCV40

Purchased from: Ebay

I absolutely love this amplifier. It has provided everything I could ask for in an amp. It give me beautiful, crystal clear cleans. The overdrive is more than enough to suit my perposes. I play blues, classic rock and rock, jazz, and this definately has enough punch for me. If you wanted to play metal or somethign heavy, you'd probably need a OD or Distortion pedal in there. This amp can handle basically any type of music by itself, and I'm sure with a decent pedal it could do anything at all. It is very quite, no hum at all. But when you get this baby cranked, boy it sings. I've heard its loud, but I can tell you, it is loud. I can't sit in the same room with it and have the volume knob exceed 1.5 or 2. the cleans seem to hold together very well at high volumes. I haven't gotten the chance to crank it at full blast yet (definately not necesary), so I couldn't really comment too much there.

This amp is an absolute beast. I would put it up next to any amp, even most half-stacks, and be confidet that it would blow it out of the water. I got this amp for an absolute steal. I'd say its worth around 8 or 9 hundred new, with the modifications. If it were a Marshall of equal quality it would sell for and arm, a leg and your firstborn child. Traynor is one of the best-kept secrets of the amp world. I highly recommend this amp to players everywhere.

This think is built like a tank. It weighs a ton, and feels like it could withstand a small bomb. If you treat it well and dont abuse it (it is and all-tube), you will have no problems at all. I would take this to gig at any venue and not be worried of it failing or not being able to handle the volumes.

I bought this amp used off Ebay, but I believe its a year or two old. It's also been modded a bit: new JJ Tubes an a new celestion Vintage 30 speaker. Highly recommend these changes, it makes the amp sound a thousand times better for not that much money. Two channels, seperate EQ's. Reverb and presence knobs. Effects loop (very useful for me) and included footswitch, for channels and boost. Standby switch, as any tube amp should have.

goobs
    semi state? like a tube preamp? i wouldnt be surprised if it did sound better, and just coz its got the word marshall on the front, doesnt mean its gonna sound good. take the mg for example. but traynors (from wat ive heard) are pretty good amps, and wen eq'd right they can manage a gain level close to a dsl 401 even at low volumes. it just takes time and plenty of patience.