YCV40 review by Traynor

Traynor: YCV40

Purchased from: Tony's Music Box Ltd.

Pretty darn good people. I use a Epiphone Les Paul Custom, stock pickups, & a PR5E Limited Edition Ele/Accoustic. Both sound great in this amp. I am also in an Alternitive/Punk band, I find the Overdrive channel dosen't live up to my expectations, althought the clean channel is amazing. on the overdrive channel I experimented with all the controls and the boost Switch, nothing really worked, so I bought a distortion pedal. And the boost on the overdrive chanel might as well be left on, with out it it sounds weak, and not bassy or warm at all. With it on it is pretty good, but I still use my distortion pedal 24/7. I usually get feedback on higer volumes on the distortion channel, I thought it was my pedal but I ran my guitar through just the amp and it still happened, but if I click to my neck pickup it dosent happen as much, it is also kind of noisy(when you have it turned up). Clean channel is a winner. Dosen't break up when you turn it up and beat your strings to crap, picks up evreything (not in a bad way) and is noiseless. Power wise, 40 watts. But I practice with it and it has no trouble powerering over other amps and keeps up with the drums. I woulden't say it is good enough for a gig. Overall the sound is marvellous, distortion is the only reason it got an 8/10.

Very nice amp, It dosen't really suit my playing style, but I live with it. I have been playing guitar seriously for about 4 years now, but don't get me wrong, I know my stuff. Pros: clean channel is amazing, and thats all I can think of. Cons: distortion. And I don't have to worry about it getting stolen or lost, because I'm selling it. I do love this amp, but its lacking power. So I'm upgrading to a Marshall AVT150HX. Hopefully it will do the job. I hope you found this review helpfull. Sorry its so short but I'm too lazy to write a long one (Once I get my AVT150HX ill write a huge one on it).

Well, I have my concerns, she overheats alot usually have to take a break evrey 45 mins. Seems to be solid though. I'm not worryed about it too much.

So, heres a little low-down for all you folks. The Traynor YCV40 is an all valve amp, equiped with one 12" Celestion Seventy 80. It has two channels, clean and overdrive. Ill start with the overdrive channel. It has gain, volume, treble, bass & middle controls with a boost switch (footswitchable). The clean channel has volume, treble, bass & middle controls with a brightness switch, not footswitchable, but I just leave it on. Then you have a main presence control, and a reverb knob. On the back you have your Footswitch input (footswitch included) And EFX line inputs. Then a power input and a on & off switch! And that's pretty much all the features I can think of.