YCV40 review by Traynor

Traynor: YCV40

I think the amp sound amazing for what I play with my band. Let me start by saying who this amp is NOT for... Metal players of any kind (this is talking about the amp itself, NO pedals), Very high gain playing e.i. Van Halen, hi gain 80's rock. For most everything else, it's a great amp. Clean channel rivals some of the best. Everyone raves of Fender clean, and they are very good. I hear them a lot in the clubs I go to... But this Traynor has an outstanding clean tone which I use often in my classic rock band. Plenty of clean head room. The Over Drive channel is very good too. The OD from this channel is going to break up more like the Vintage rock, southern rock, and heavier blues type bands... Think Aerosmith, ZZ Top, Skynyrd, SRV, British stuff from 70's and 80's, some 90's too. The boost feature on the footswitch and amp panel gives a pretty good volume change for soloing. HOWEVER, add an good OD pedal to this amp (I use a Bad Monkey and Joyo Vintage Overdrive) and it sings like tone machine. Awesome change with a pedal... Gorgeous OD. The 40 watts is VERY loud, used in my band with another guitarist using a Les Paul and Marshall, it keeps up with no problems with both volumes around 4-5. However, still maintains great tone at lower, house levels. Just turn up Gain, and drop master volume to 1 or 2... Same on clean channel.

I use a Fender Strat and Godin SD guitar, and both sound great through this amp. It's not a well known amp, and snobs may say they want to stick with a Deluxe Reverb, Orange, or Marshall... But both worlds of tone in this amp, clean and overdrive, are very good. How can you lose? My favorite thing about this amp is the 2 very distinct channels and the quality of them. My least favorite thing... Heavy amp, and a speaker upgrade would perhaps smooth out the overdrive channel a bit.

I've had the amp for a year and it's been great. No issues and it is built very well. Made in Canada which I like. And yes, I've used it on gigs without backup.

2 channel amp each with it's own 3 band EQ, effects loop, footswitch for channel switching and boost on overdrive, reverb, presence control, 12" Celestion Seventy 80 speaker, mine has 2 EL84's in power section and 3 12AX7's in the pre-amp.