YCV40WR review by Traynor

Traynor: YCV40WR

Using an Ibanez S470 and Artcore AS105 custom finished, the amp sings the blues on its' on. Works fantastically for jazz/blues, ambient type music, and pop/hard rock. Has a great funk sound too with the treble turned up a bit. With the S470, treble can be a bit overwhelming when I plug in, but that's what EQ knobs are for. They are easily the most responsive EQ knobs I've messed with, and can drastically impact the sound. Does have some hum on the clean channel, but not real noticeable in a band situation, and I find it adds a Vintage sense to recordings. It has a pristine, heartwarming clean with the Artcore, which naturally adds warmth due to the pickups and hollowness. A searing hard rock solo sound can be achieved really easily on the Drive channel with the gain around 12 and the boost engaged. The amp actually does have a lot of gain on tap, but after a certain point enough is enough for The Music I play. Like I said the amp breaks up on the clean channel starting at about 5, and gets a little crunchy, which is great for rock. Want a clean sound for a big gig situation? MIC IT! Has nice and squishy like overdrive, very smooth, which I love. I'm not real big on pinpointing artists' tones, but I do get a real good SRV or John Mayer blues tone on the Drive channel. I am more of a believer in learning songs the way the artists played it, and then kind of making it your own. For The Music I play, I don't think I could have found a better amp in this price range for the sound.

For the stlyes of music I play, the amp is an incredible bargain. I also own a Rocktron Prophesy II preamp which I usually run into a Carvin active speaker, but I haven't touched it since I got the Traynor. If it were stolen I would certainly buy from Traynor again, even though they did just raise prices. I would buy the YCV40WR again, and now I'm actually looking at the 50Blue, Ycs50, and possibly the YCS100, One of which I will probably buy in the next few years after I get an extension cabinet for the 40WR. My friend has a killer Hot Rod Deluxe, which inspired me to look at amps like this. I tried amps out for over a year, from every Fender I could get my hands on to mesas and Marshalls. In the end I just loved the clean channel on this amp, and was floored when I found out I got a good Drive channel too. I would give a 10 here based off sound alone, but no amp is completely perfect all the time.

I do depend on it, and plan to gig without a backup on hand. I do have a Line 6 Spider III 75 as a backup though, which I hope to never have to pull out. The springs in the reverb tank to rattle around a little bit(but not while playing) in transit, which drives me crazy. Since I Live in the country, the amp bumps along with the car, and the springs clank around. I called Traynor directly(nice folks, very helpful), and they said it was nothing to worry about. The amp has metal tipped corners, so if you bang it on the corners of the amp, the metal protects the corners nicely, which is a clever feature I think.

More than likely it is a late 2008/early 2009 model based on when I ordered it. The amp is very versatile, but don't expect metal sounds to come out of it, it's not meant for that. -Wine Red tolex with gold cloth covering the steel grille -2 channels -footswitch included-1/channel Switch 2/boost engage button -40watts powered by two Sovtek 6L6GB Beam Power Tubes, and runs 2 Sovtek 12ax7 preamp tubes -separate tone controls for each channel -effects loop/line out-(parallel I've been told by the Traynor staff -Long Accutronics spring reverb -standby Switch I have used this amp in a band situation and recording, and it works great in both. However, I wish it had a bit more headroom because the clean channel starts to break up around 5, but it's only a slight crunch. I usually run a volume pedal in the effects loop to form a master volume, which is the only feature I really find the amp lacks for my preferences.

BigHeadClan
    My buddy has this guy and it is loud and sounds amazing, the amp is built like a tank despite the rattle from the reverb. We where moving our stuff for a jam and my buddy went over a speed bump faster then he should have we saw the amp get about 2 ft of air from sitting face down in the back seet and it was fine.
    flyfshr
    I got mine used for $300 canadian. drive channel is very "classic rock". I love it best on the clean channel with the neck pickup on my artcore. Very smooth.
    rob.derubeis.3
    loved the sound, but something was off. switched pre tubes to EH then power tubes to TD's. sounded great, but once i replaced the V30 with an eminence private jack it became perfect. love this amp