YCV50Blue review by Traynor

Traynor: YCV50Blue

Purchased from: Long and MacQuade

I play a Fender Strat with a SD Lil '59 in the bridge position. I play ever style, mainly Blues and Hard rock/metal. For me, this amp handles both styles very well. For the blues, I use the dirty channel and have the gain around 4 with the mids boosted. For metal, I use the lead boost and the mids scooped. It could be more heavy if I got an overdrive, which I may get very soon. The clean channel is absolutly sparkelling, especially when the brighten switch is turned on. The amp has very minimal unwanted noisiness. With the two channels, this amp is incredibly versatile, which is what I was looking for when I bought it.

For the price, the Traynor YCV50Blue is a great amp. I also own the matching Traynor YCXblue extention cab, which makes the amp sound even better. For me, I feel very fortunate that I found this amp. Its versatility is key. Clean and Dirty, she'll give you all you want.

This is thing a tube amp, and all tube amps need to be treated "kindly." But this amp is durable. It has been bumped around and it still sounds like the day I bought it. It has a strong construction and a strong metal grill to protect the speaker.

This is a relatively new amp from Traynor. The Traynor YCV (Yorkville Custom Valve) series is predominantly based on 6L6 tubes. These appear in such amps as the YCV 40 and 80. This gives the amps a Fender-esque tonal quality. The YCV50Blue, however, sports EL-34s, changing the tone to a more Marshall-esque sound. It is a 1x12 50 watt all-tube combo amp. It comes with a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker. It has a blue tolex covering, with a black grill. It looks as if it were a mix between a Vintage and a modern amp. It has 2 channels, Clean and Dirty. The clean channel has a Brighten button, and the dirty channel has a lead boost button. The Brighten button is, unfortunately, not switchable fromt he included footswitch, althought the channels and lead boost are switchable. Each channel has a seperate volume knob and eq (high mid low). There is also a master volume and reverb. It has an fx-loop, and an optional extention cabinet jack. I play this mainly in my room, but I also use it for gigs and for recording. The 50 watts is more than enough for my musical needs. It is really really loud. I've never been able to turn it up to 10.

GuitarJunkie
    I think I've played this amp once at Sam Ash...I know it was some kind of traynor...i didnt really get time to tweak it which sucked because i was in there for a long time playing other stuff and the guy gave me shit cause i wasnt buying anything and basically asked me to leave...ive heard great things about it though and am looking forward to really trying one out.
    Burtonjp
    Yes its a very good amp.. Put in some JJ high gain kit tubes and e 34L's and it sounds 60% better.
    minsoo
    hey, you got the amp for 550 CDN at long and mcquade.. was the amp new? used? im considering one myself...
    Warm_Tube_Guy
    I have this exact amp with the extension for it also. I find the amp has an amazing tone, and goes as loud as I will ever need it. It truely is a versatile amp with a great tone.
    apparition
    yeah L&M Surrey sells it spr $795. the optional cab was like $310 or sumthin too.