YCV50Blue review by Traynor

Traynor: YCV50Blue

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

I'm using a Fender Strat, with a DiMarzio Virtual Vintage 2 in the Bridge, and a Dimarzio Chopper in the Middle, with a Stock pickup in the neck. I find that the amp gets pretty noisy when you start turning the master volume up a lot, that you start getting some hum, so I put a noise gate to get rid of that. This amp can make a huge variety of sounds, from dry to sparkling cleans, bluesy overdrive to hard rock. The distortion is pretty brutal however it's not going to cut it for metal at lower volumes.

This amp is a good match for people Who are looking to play higher gain music and need a good combo. If you don't plan to use a lot of overdrive and distortion I would look elsewhere at something like a Blues Junior, or something like the YCV40. I have been playing guitar for 3 Years, and I also own a PODXT Live, Fender Standard Strat, Simon and Patrick Luther Acoustic-Electric, and a variety of recording gear, and P.A equipment. If it were lost or stolen, I probably would by the same thing again, or I might see if I can find something like a JCM900 2X12 Combo. I had compared this amp to the other Traynor Custom Valve series, and a few solid state amps which I had tried before deciding to go tube. I found that this amp was best for what I needed.

The amp seems well built, pretty solid, I haven't had it long enough to know a whole lot more, and the tubes haven't broken down yet. I would use t on a gig without a backup. But that's mostly because I don't have a backup.

This amp was brand new when I got it so I'm hoping it was made in 2006. This particular model was introduced back in 2005 as a part of the Yorkville Custom Valve series. It's an all tube 50 Watt 1x12 Combo witha Celestion Vintage 30 speaker. Unlike the otehr amps in the series this amp features EL34's, the EL34's combined with the V30 give this amp a very Marshall like tone. I play a lot of Rock/Pop Punk/Punk and it really suits my styles for this music well. It can get pretty heavy, however you may want to get an overdrive pedal like a Tube Screamer to kick the amp into metal territory. I have only had this amp for about a week now and so far I have only used it in my bedroom, I tend to play it on master volume 3 or 4, with the preamp volume at about half. It is pleanty loud and has a lot of head room, I tried cranking the amp of to 10, but just the hum started to vibrate my entire house and cause feedback. It has pleanty of power, and you probably won't need more than 50 Watts unless you plan to play arenas every night. I really wish the Reverb was adjustable for either channel, I like a lot of rever on my cleans and none on my distortions. However it's not a big deal since I don't do a lot of mid song switching anyways. I also wish that this amp was a 2X12, just so you could push a bit more air without needing the extension cab. It'd also be nice if the boost was adjustable and not set.