YCV50Blue review by Traynor

Traynor: YCV50Blue

Purchased from: Musicstop

I play this amp paired with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and occasionally a Boss SD1 Super Overdrive. It's a very versatile amplifier and produces top notch tones. The clean channel is very smooth and sparkly. It can produce a fair variety of tones, from glassy "Fender-esque" cleans, to mellow, warm cleans. The only downside to the clean channel is that it breaks up at an early volume stage (about 5). The lead channel without the gain boost engaged is suitable for anything from classic rock, to blues, to a more mild rock sound. With the gain boost engaged, the tone thickens up and becomes darker (along with getting a nice boost of gain). This makes it great for solos, or for playing harder rock music. The amp isn't very noisey at all, although it does have a bit of feedback when played through the lead channel at high volumes (especially with the gain boost engaged). However, this can be fixed with the help of a good noise gate. The only other downside is that this amp doesn't have enough distortion to play metal on it's own (although, when boosted by an overdrive pedal it can dish out some decent metal tones). I play a wide variety of styles, but mostly Queensryche, Poets of the Fall, Dream Theater, Joe Satriani, Alter Bridge, and the RHCP. This amp can deliver all the tones I need to play these styles of music (although, I need to boost my tone occassionally).

I have been playing for 3 years now. I upgraded to this amp from a Fender Frontman 25R and the difference is huge. This amp is phenominal and really delivers a lot of great features and tone for it's relatively low price. I tried a lot of amps before purchasing this one, and I think that I can safely say it's the most versatile and best sounding tube amp in it's price range. If it were stolen, I probably wouldn't replace it cause I'd most likely upgrade amps again. However, I'm very impressed by this amp, and recommend it to anyone Who's looking for a good amp in this price range Who doesn't have a large interest in playing metal.

The amp is made flawlessly. The speaker is protected by a steel grate across the front of the amps body, which is covered by a strong mesh-like material. The cab body itself is made from a very durable playwood. The tubes are auto-biasing, and the whole preamp section unplugs and can be disconnected from the amp. I haven't gotten an oppertunity to gig with this amp yet, but it's a lot more reliable than amps that I've used to gig with in the past (and they never gave me any problems).

This amp was made in 2005. It has 2 channels (clean and lead). It features a "brightness Switch" to boost the high signals on the clean channel to make it sparkle, and a gain boost for the lead channel. The controls are located on the top on the amp, via "chicken head" style knobs. It's 50 watts, all-tube, and comes with a footswitch to control channel switching and the gain boost. It also has a dandy effects loop, and an auto-biasing tube circuit. It also comes stock with a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker.