YCV50Blue review by Traynor

Traynor: YCV50Blue

Price paid: C$ 550

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

I'm using an Epiphone G-400 with this, and I really like how it sounds. I also use my Line-6 Uber Metal and Echo Park, and I love the distortion through this tube amp! I've never had any noise problems with this amp, but then again, my Uber Metal has a noise gate, and I've never cranked the amp on the dirty channel. There's really not much hum at all, and it sounds good at most volumes. Like I said before, the built-in distortion isn't good for metal (at the volumes I play at, usually 2-5 volume), but I haven't turned it up all the way yet. Just throw a distortion pedal on top of the clean channel and you'll be good for metal. The clean channel on mine is a bit hard to describe, but it's got the slightest crunch to it. This might be because I bought used and the tubes aren't new, I'm not sure. I like how it sounds nevertheless.

I'm mostly a metal head, and don't play too many clean tones, but when I use cleans, I love how it sounds with some chorus on it. One thing that I don't like about this, is that when I use my Boss RC-2 Loop Station, it doesn't handle the drums beats very well, so I use my bass amp for that. My other pedals (Line-6 UberMetal and Echo Park) sound amazing on all settings. If this amp was stolen, it would definately be my first choice again, mainly because it's the best I can afford in the price range. There's really nothing I hate about this amp at all, it's just a bit annoying to let the tubes warm up and cool down before turning it on/off. I compared this amp to the Traynor YCV40, which was another good amp, but I went for the extra power so I got this one. It also came with a footswitch for channel changing, but I don't use that since I have a distortion pedal. All in all, a really good amp I expect to have for a long time.

I've had this amp for a month now, and it seems built to last. The only thing I'm conserned with is when it's in the trunk of my car/van and we hit a lot of bumps, I can hear the tubes rattling. The amp's actually fallen over in the van before, but nothing was damaged. It has an open back, with no covering, so you'll have to be careful not to damage the speaker somehow. The front is covered with a metal grate, so the front's well protected. Nothing's ever happened to this amp, and it seems like it's going to stay that way. I would definately gig without a back-up since I don't have a back-up, but I doubt this will fail me.

This is a really good amp. It's all a 50w all tube amp, with 2 tubes I can see. It has a 1x12" Celestion Speaker, 2 channels (clean, dirty, an effects loop and reverb. This amp is really versitile, especially when you have a distortion pedal. The amp's dirty channel isn't so good for metal, but it's got a crunch that's good for some hard rock. I play mostly stuff like Black Sabbath, Motley Crue, Guns N' Roses, and I think it covers them all pretty well (with my Line-6 Uber Metal). This amp is really loud. I still haven't gigged with it, but I've used it at band practice a lot of times. If I want to totally dominate the air waves at practice, I only have to turn it up to 5, and can play balanced with the other instruments aroun 4. I've heard this will pretty much cover all indoor gigs that aren't stadiums, and I can believe that. The only thing this is missing is a headphone jack, and I'm not even sure I'd use that.