205 review by Valvetrain Amps

Valvetrain Amps: 205

I played this little monster with a PRS SC 245 I pulled off the rack at a local shop. I've been playing a little bluesy lately, and this thing looked like it'd probably give me a good fix, and boy was I in for a treat. Both of the controls do exactly what they're supposed to. For once I find an amp with a tone control that's worth a darn! It will actually give you some wonderful buttery smooth tones or can be super bright and articulate if that's your thing. Below 12 o' clock on the volume knob is all clean, sparkly and jangly with a nice crisp midrange that's very sweet when you treat it right. Above 12 is a wonderful crunch tone that will top out at about 'whole lotta love' levels and is always sweet and extremely touch sensitive. This amp would sound huge recorded! No, it definitely won't hang with a drummer (unless he's air drumming), but it's sure loud enough to make you feel like a rock star lol. Usually I don't do low gain stuff, but this thing is so sweet I may have to bring one home!

I couldn't ask for anything more on this little guy! It only has what's necessary to get you a killer guitar tone! I typically like my amps to have a nice EQ section, but this bad boy don't need it. It's set it and forget it, argument over. If you're looking for a killer little blues/rock amp that won't make the neighbors mad (no matter how close they Live) and won't break the bank (I think this thing lists for about $700). Then this is your amp.

I have no idea about this area, played it only at the local shop for about 20 minutes. But it's hand wired, point to point, so I imagine it'll last you a lifetime if treated correctly. The cab feels solid as a rock and would definitely hold my weight up with no problems. Only time would tell

8" Weber Signature Series speaker, 5 watts out of 1 6v6 tube, preamp is 1 12AX7 tube. Tone knob, volume knob, solid pine cabinet with floating baffle. Some people rate an amp's features by how many it has. I like to rate them by their effectiveness. It always sucks when I play an amp and one or two of the controls don't really effect the sound that much, but that was not the case this day.

GS LEAD 5
    Don't you need to use an amp for longer before you write a review?
    Serjem
    GS LEAD 5 wrote: I have no idea about this area, played it only at the local shop for about 20 minutes. Don't you need to use an amp for longer before you write a review?
    yeah i guess so.
    doive
    i would say so having said that it is a simple as valve combo - only 2 controls. you could get a pretty decent handle on it quite quickly
    msteryman3
    Don't you need to use an amp for longer before you write a review?
    I so agree