Special 6 Ultra review by VHT

VHT: Special 6 Ultra

Purchased from: Pepperell Music Center

I use my Schecter C1 Hellraiser with active EMG's into my Crybaby 535Q>MXR Fullbore Metal> amp. I play mostly metal so I really like a very high gain tone. With the amp cranked and on the ultra channel, it can get a nice crunch but not quite the crunch I need which is the reason I put the MXR in front of it. It accepts pedals very well and sounds amazing. The cleans r pristine with very little breakup at higher volume.

Its a good amp but I really wish it had a 2 channel, single input with a footswitch. The MXR pedal does not clean up and I have to use it over the clean channel. With some songs, I would like to be able to go from a "balls to the wall distortion" to just a crisp crunchy tone. A reverb would also be very nice, I feel like it just needs that extra "body". I am going into my senior year of high school I am intending on selling this amp by the end of the year for something that has more of what I'm looking for without having to put a bunch of pedals in front of it. But for the money, it is a really nice amp and has been a stepping stone to get into tube amps at an affordable price.

I have yet to have any issues with the amp so as far as I've owned it (about 3 months) it has treated me very well.

This is a pretty barebones amp. No reverb and no effects. It has a tube driven effects loop, 2 inputs (clean and ultra, not footswitchable). Push pull volume boost, 3 position "texture" switch, depth (lows), tone, ultra. On/off Switch and a standby Switch that features high power, standby, and low power. Cool feature of the amp is its variable wattage control that allows for bedroom volumes but still getting the cranked amp sound. The amp comes standard with 2 12AX7's and a 6V6. You can also daisy chain this amp to as many cabinets as you wish if you need it for a gig. But for 6 watts, its pretty damn loud.