AC100CPH review by Vox

Vox: AC100CPH

Purchased from: Mc Neil Music

I'm using a PRS Tremonti or a Les Paul through this amp. I find the Clean Channel can stay "pretty clean" at higher volumes, which is better with the 100 watt head vs. the 50 watt version. However a little gain added will give you that bluesy tone, clean if picked gently but breaks up if you really bite into a note. The second channel just blows me away. I can get a really nice southern rock crunch or classic rock overdrive. If I flip that fat Switch (watch out for the volume jump) and I get so much bottom chunk any metal guy would drool (amazing for drop tuning). Add the bright Switch to that and you get a nice, cut through the mix tone and don't lose the chunk. I can get the classic Vox tones, but I find that I'm often wooed by the Classic rock sounds of this amp. I haven't had the gain knob of Channel 2 past 10-O'clock yet. It has plenty more gain if you'd ever want that much but it's useable all below 12:00. All the tone controls have a wide range of sweep making them more useable and effective than most other amps I've played.

Over the past several gigs, I've really gotten comfortable using this amp. I play Classic Rock, Blues, Jazz and a little Modern Metal, this amp is versatile enough to cover it all. I've been playing Guitar for 39 years (#*&@!) and have owned a lot of gear. I really like this amp a lot and wish it was still produced. It's a very impressive sounding amp. I run it through a pair of Vintage 30's in a closed back / slant cabinet. My only dislike: that "Fat" Switch should be on a footswitch (and a volume taper for it). The clean IS clean, but wish I could bring the gain up just a little more before break up. Still plenty loud enough for any gig (indoors or outdoors). For a solo, I use the effects loop (for Delay and Chorus) and I have a clean boost that gives me a db boost for leads. If this was lost or stolen, yeah, I'd consider buying another one, if I could find one. I hope the prices stay reasonable on these, allowing people without large budgets to own a boutique-ish sounding amp. I gig with this amp, I practice with it and it's probably one of my favorite sounding amps right now. I do own a a Marshall JCM 900 and a few Mesa Boogies and Fenders as well. All have their own unique sound(s).

I've only had this amp for about a year, but I've had NO issues with it at all. It's easy to bias (remove a 2 screw cover on the back). The stock "Ruby" power tubes and "Tung Sol" 12AX7's are a great match for this amp. The POTs are very useable & smooth, the switches are solid. The jacks aren't my favorite (I prefer Switchcrafts), but work well enough.

A 2009 Vox AC100CPH the 'H' mean Head. This was a very limited production model (2007-2009) and not a "big hit" in the market. The initial cost on these was a bit high for what you got. It wasn't until they stopped making them, and the prices went down that folks started to discover what these little gems had to offer. - 2 Channels (plus). - Channel 1 = Clean with Volume, Reverb, Tone Cut, Bass, Middle, Treble, Gain controls - Channel 2 = Volume, Reverb, Presence, Bass, Middle, Treble a Bright Switch and a "Fat" switch. - A Master Volume is the master for both channels. - The rear of the head has an effects loop and 8/16 ohm Switch for the speaker cabinet. I wish the "Fat" Switch was a foot-switchable setting (I'm working with my amp tech to get that). - Four x EL34 (6CA7's) and Four x12AX7's.

GS LEAD 5
    Charley2715
    GS LEAD 5 wrote: I've never even heard of this x.x I thought the 30 was the biggest of the AC series?
    They also made an AC50 for a short while
    scottb630
    They made this head in an AC50CPH and this specific one, a AC100CPH. I like the 100 better for getting a "louder" clean before breakup, not to mention the headroom advantage. I still get a charge out of playing this head (and still gig with it regularly). I ran my PRS Santana through it at our last gig ... wholy $*#()@!! What a sound!! I had a few guys come up and ask what my rig was and how did I have it set up. I'm an average club player that can tap and do a few "tricks", so when other guitarists come up to ask about my sound, it's fun to share it with them.
    geddyfan
    This amp is awesome as an owner I've played it for outdoor gigs and of course practice. Its nice and loud but not like the super high gain of more expensive amp. It has a nice darker tone to it, nothing ice pick or wimpy about it like some amps. I prefer it over some more expensive ones really worth checking out
    diabolical
    That was a great amp, didn't sell too well as Vox are usually for the older rockers so the kiddos didn't look into this one and the older rockers were getting headache from the amount of gain, thus the salesmen pretty much ignored them. Great deal if you want clean and mid to high gain, awesome with the Vox overdrives!