AC100CPH Review

manufacturer: Vox date: 05/05/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Vox: AC100CPH
Over the past several gigs, I've really gotten comfortable using this amp. I play Classic Rock, Blues, Jazz and a little Modern Metal, this amp is versatile enough to cover it all. It's a very impressive sounding amp.
 8.9
 9.5
 8.2
 6,778
review (1) pictures (3) 7 comments vote for this gear:
AC100CPH Reviewed by: scottb630, on may 05, 2011

Purchased from: Mc Neil Music

Features: A 2009 Vox AC100CPH the 'H' mean Head. This was a very limited production model (2007-2009) and not a "big hit" in the market. The initial cost on these was a bit high for what you got. It wasn't until they stopped making them, and the prices went down that folks started to discover what these little gems had to offer. - 2 Channels (plus). - Channel 1 = Clean with Volume, Reverb, Tone Cut, Bass, Middle, Treble, Gain controls - Channel 2 = Volume, Reverb, Presence, Bass, Middle, Treble a Bright Switch and a "Fat" switch. - A Master Volume is the master for both channels. - The rear of the head has an effects loop and 8/16 ohm Switch for the speaker cabinet. I wish the "Fat" Switch was a foot-switchable setting (I'm working with my amp tech to get that). - Four x EL34 (6CA7's) and Four x12AX7's. // 9

Sound: I'm using a PRS Tremonti or a Les Paul through this amp. I find the Clean Channel can stay "pretty clean" at higher volumes, which is better with the 100 watt head vs. the 50 watt version. However a little gain added will give you that bluesy tone, clean if picked gently but breaks up if you really bite into a note. The second channel just blows me away. I can get a really nice southern rock crunch or classic rock overdrive. If I flip that fat Switch (watch out for the volume jump) and I get so much bottom chunk any metal guy would drool (amazing for drop tuning). Add the bright Switch to that and you get a nice, cut through the mix tone and don't lose the chunk. I can get the classic Vox tones, but I find that I'm often wooed by the Classic rock sounds of this amp. I haven't had the gain knob of Channel 2 past 10-O'clock yet. It has plenty more gain if you'd ever want that much but it's useable all below 12:00. All the tone controls have a wide range of sweep making them more useable and effective than most other amps I've played. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've only had this amp for about a year, but I've had NO issues with it at all. It's easy to bias (remove a 2 screw cover on the back). The stock "Ruby" power tubes and "Tung Sol" 12AX7's are a great match for this amp. The POTs are very useable & smooth, the switches are solid. The jacks aren't my favorite (I prefer Switchcrafts), but work well enough. // 9

Overall Impression: Over the past several gigs, I've really gotten comfortable using this amp. I play Classic Rock, Blues, Jazz and a little Modern Metal, this amp is versatile enough to cover it all. I've been playing Guitar for 39 years (#*&@!) and have owned a lot of gear. I really like this amp a lot and wish it was still produced. It's a very impressive sounding amp. I run it through a pair of Vintage 30's in a closed back / slant cabinet. My only dislike: that "Fat" Switch should be on a footswitch (and a volume taper for it). The clean IS clean, but wish I could bring the gain up just a little more before break up. Still plenty loud enough for any gig (indoors or outdoors). For a solo, I use the effects loop (for Delay and Chorus) and I have a clean boost that gives me a db boost for leads. If this was lost or stolen, yeah, I'd consider buying another one, if I could find one. I hope the prices stay reasonable on these, allowing people without large budgets to own a boutique-ish sounding amp. I gig with this amp, I practice with it and it's probably one of my favorite sounding amps right now. I do own a a Marshall JCM 900 and a few Mesa Boogies and Fenders as well. All have their own unique sound(s). // 10

More Vox reviews rating category latest review
+ Valvetronix VT20+ 8.8 Guitar Amplifiers 02/10/2016