AC15C1 review by Vox

Vox: AC15C1

Purchased from: Sweetwater

I'm using an Ibanez guitar with Seymour Duncan split-coil pickups ('59 and JB). I play rock - Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, so basically anything that has a Vox-type sound. Therefore, the Vox AC15C1 is a perfect choice for me as far as my tone goes. The amp has some slight buzzing when it's inactive, but that seems to disappear even by having your fingers touching the strings. The sounds the amp can make range from nice, jazzy, reverby cleans to more twangy cleans to some passable heavy-rock distortion, depending on your pickups.

This amp is a great match for the sort of indie/alternative music that I play. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi sounds perfect. Pedals sound quite nice too. Overall, I'm very pleased with this amplifier and would recommend it as a fairly cost-effective method to achieve some sweet sounds.

I've only owned this amp for a short while. I can't in good conscience take any points away from it because it feels sturdy and I've not yet had any problems. The handle on it is made of leather, I believe, and all of the knobs and materials seem to be of good quality. It's still manufactured in China rather than the UK, but I would gig with this amp without a backup for sure.

This amp was produced in 2010. It's about as versatile as a tube amp of this sort can be - you can get classic Vox clean tones and some great distortion out of it at reasonable volumes. The reverb sounds lovely as does the built-in tremolo. There is no effects loop, nor a headphone jack. The amp has two inputs, one for the normal channel and one for the top-boost channel, which obviously boosts the high-end of the signal. The top-boost channel has a responsive EQ with treble and bass, though the normal channel does not. Finally, there's a knob called Tone Cut which can increase or decrease higher frequencies depending on where you have it set.

breadstick
    My brother bought one og these the other day. It's got a celestion greenback. One of the best things about it (compared to my Blues Junior) is that you can actually get a good range of low volumes. My blues junior goes: too quiet, too quiet, little louder, TOO LOUD. Reverb is nice. You can definitely get some great sounds out of this amp.
    sg4ever
    Is it better than the previous run of AC15s??? Also, how loud is it clean/semi clean???
    Charlie4
    BrokenDstring
    youtube.
    seemeel
    BrokenDstring wrote: Charlie4 wrote: Anyone know how it sounds if you boost a Vox quite hard? A very tight, chimey hard rock sound? Just curious. youtube.
    Yes, because you get an accurate representation of the amp when people use their webcams or video cameras to record themselves playing. Unless it's done with a good microphone (which it rarely is) the sound on these videos is no better than someone describing how it sounds to you using words.
    soadrhcpmuse
    BrokenDstring wrote: let me rephrase: andy, from proguitarshop on youtube.
    LOL! yeah, pro guitar shop RULES!
    buchla200
    I just tried one in my local guitar shop and it sounds excellent. Am going back to grab it as soon as I can. For a brand new affordable chinese built amp, I haven't heard better. Sounds like a vox should.
    benjy94
    i have a thing for using quite a few pedals in my line up eg zvex fuzz factory and digitech whammy. could this handle this alright?
    jimmydweed
    Look up early Rory Gallagher as he uses an AC30 boosted with a dallas rangemaster
    R0B0_Ninja
    I think the feature score is a bit high considering the lack of a mid control.
    Artfox
    Anyone knows how much you can play before you need to replace the tubes? Kind of scary to buy my first tube amp..
    floodzzzz
    Great amp,picked it up today and it sounds lovely, the reverb and tremelo are awesome =).
    TheCronan