AC15CC1 review by Vox

Vox: AC15CC1

Purchased from: www.Giggear.co.uk

Vox excels at making amps with fat, deep clean tone and the new AC15 CC1 is no exception. Adjusting the bass and treble controls can also achieve a very respectable Fender-style clean tone. Roll up the volume control and this amp suddenly provides plenty of growl for blues, Indie and The Clash-esque punk. As mentioned earlier, heavier styles will require a pedal. As with all good tube amps, pick attack and tone and volume controls on the guitar have a strong effect on the sound, giving even more scope for tonal variety. When combined with a good guitar, this amp is capable of tonal nirvana across the majority of musical genres. I use this amp with a Fender American Telecaster and a Crafter Constantine (roughly equating to an Epiphone Les Paul Studio). With the fully-shielded Fender this amp is surprisingly quiet, however the Crafter reveals that this amp generates a lot of noise with only a semi-shielded guitar plugged into it. In my opinion, it's worth going to the effort of shielding your guitar for this amp; call it a labour of love.

I play British Indie, punk, ska and some generic rock music with this amp and it handles them all brilliantly. I've been playing for about 4 years and I previously owned a Marshall MG100DFX amp. Believe me, the Vox absolutely destroys it in every way.I bought this amp after comparing it directly to a Fender Blues Junior. With my American Telecaster, the Blues Junior was better than the Vox in only one area; the trademark 'Fender clean' sound. In every other respect, the Vox sounded much deeper and more pronounced; much more like I'd imagined 400 of amplifier to sound. For more or less the same asking price, I had to choose the Vox. Ok, so the Vox AC15 CC1 does not have multiple channels, a plethora of effects or indeed the most brutal distortion. But if it did, it wouldn't be a loud bare-bones tube amp that's all about pure tone, and that is by far what Vox do best. What this amp does provide is deep, powerful tone at any volume and genuine tube distortion when needed. On top of all that it looks like it dropped right out of the '50s and it smells like a proper tube amp should too. Glorious.

User reviews on other websites complain of reliability issues relating to an incorrectly-rated fuse, but I can only assume that Vox have solved this problem for 2007, as I have cranked my amp close to the limit for gigs that would usually swamp a 15 Watt amp and it has performed admirably. This amp has also been bumped around a bit, but again I cannot fault it's build quality. The construction on the outside appears to be just as solid, even if all the hardware is plastic (jacks, knobs, corner protectors etc). Being a tube amp, it will need servicing eventually but so far I have suffered no reliability issues what'soever.

The AC15CC1 Custom Classic from Vox needs no fancy introductions! Born from a classic design and with a heritage dating back to 1958, it maintains and evolves Vox's pedigree in thoroughbred tone. Features 15 watts of power, 12" VOX/Wharfedale Custom speaker and much more! This amp's features may seem limited at first, but I've found that they prove suitable for most styles of music, with the exception of metal and heavy rock, which one would require a pedal for. The reverb is a little unorthodox, but works well at low levels, and the tremolo is excellent; capable of giving my guitar tone a spooky shimmer when set to low speed and mid-depth. The bass and treble controls are also very effective. Don't be fooled by the 15 Watts power rating; I've played to an indoor crowd of about 200 people with it and it didn't quite need to be fully cranked. At home the master volume circuit means that I can have plenty of distortion (plenty for this amp, at least) without breaking the windows. It is by far the loudest 15 Watt combo amp that I have ever encountered.

shakysam
    I paid 400 for this amp, nor did I write the first few lines; I'm not sure where the other information came from.