AC15CC1 review by Vox

Vox: AC15CC1

I use a SG and a LP copy, both with HBs and they sound orgasmic. It actually sounds better with single coils. I know this because I tried it out in GC with HB and SC guitars, all in the same price range, and the SC guitars sounded the best. The amp only gives a general tube amp buzz, nothing more. The amp cannot get that brutal distortion sound very well and I wouldn't recommend it for metal (which is good, because I don't play any metal). It is well suited for 60s and 70s rock, but nothing that is too heavy on the distortion. The amp breaks up easy, so the sound is almost always distorted at high levels. Both the tremolo and reverb sound excellent and complement the sound of the amp nicely. The tremolo isn't very potent, but it can easily get a great Gimme Shelter tone. The reverb isn't as magical as Fender reverb, but it is still very usable.

This suits my style perfectly, because I typically play '60s-'70s rock and it gets that tone with ease. I've only been playing a few years, but I've played plenty of amps and this one in a winner. I knew everything when I bought, but nothing discouraged me, because of the amazing tone. My only complaint is that it is made in China. My favorite feature would be the tremolo, but the top boost is a close second. I've played countless other amps, even others of the same model (there could be better quality control on these amps), but it is still pretty good. For the money this is an amazing sounding low wattage tube amp. If it was stolen I would save up and buy either a standard AC30 or the alnico blues version of the AC15.

This amp has never given me any problems and I doubt it will in the future as it seems to be solid. I wouldn't gig without backup ever regardless or the reliability, because you never know what could go wrong, but I get the impression from this amp that if I had to gig without a backup I could.

This is a basic 112 single channel Vintage voiced British amp. The lack of a second channel and an effects loop is annoying, but it is a small 15w combo, so not much should be expected. There is tremolo and reverb, both of which are foot switchable via a two button foot Switch. Being this amp is only 15w, it is more of a bedroom amp (what I use it for) and it breaks up at lower volumes, which makes it ideal.

tom_martin_123
    Shannock wrote: I tried the blue speaker version straight out of the box, it was dead as a dodo. Nice advert. I came away with an AD50-VT. The amp simulations are superb - even the AC15 and AC30. As the salesman said, "The AC15 is a nice amp., but at the end of the day, it has ONE sound."
    FOOL! you bought a solid state amp over this!!! The tone on the ad-vt series is alright but just not even in the same league as the vc 15. p.s u posted practically the same message twice, why would anybody listen to you?
    Shannock
    hendrixfanatic
    fastmart wrote: is it loud enough for normal club/pub use ?
    Yes, I tried it today, and you can get very loud with it!
    etalkishere
    I recently got the Vox AC15 tube amp from GC. I tried it live along with my gt-10 mic'ed up to my PA. I was able to get amazing clean and hi-gain distortion lead tones. While I am still not sure about AC15's reliability (I heard there are fuse issues that some bad-luck users experienced), I am completely sold to its tones. Loved it thus far. Flip side, I don't like its weight, too heavy for 15W amp. Plus, it is a pain to replace tubes. BTW, I called Vox up and asked if the fuse issue is a widely known one and if Vox ever recalled AC15 amps because of the issue, they said they never had that recall and believed those fuse issues are just isolated cases. I hope that is the case. Highly recommend this amp to those who are looking for great tones.
    etalkishere
    BTW, don't get fooled with its 15w rating. It's a loud amp. Since I do mic my amp to our PA system, 15W is way plenty.
    shadow__666
    Would it be loud enough to play parties and the like where there is no PA system over a loud drummer?
    DerekC99
    Shannock wrote: I went to try one at a music shop - it came straight out of the box and was dead as a dodo. Good advert. As the salesman said, a nice amplifier, but at the end of the day it has ONE sound only. I came away with a Vox AD50-VT. The AC15 and AC30 simulations sound great.
    I'm confused.