AC15CC1 review by Vox

Vox: AC15CC1

Purchased from: PMT

I use a Epiphone Les Paul Classic and an Epiphone SG G400. This amps sound great through my les paul but it doesn't sound all that through my SG. I play hard rock and it does it great but for when I want to play some Maiden, Judas Priest I will need an OD pedal. Like every tube amp when you have the master volume low and the gain high the amp sounds fizzy but when you crank it it really opens up and sounds sweet. It is a trebley amp so I just roll the tone knob down on my guitar. The cleans on this amp are just awesome.

I play hard rock this is great for that as you can get just the right amount. The only problem with this amp is the amount of treble in this amp but hopefully I will be changing the tubes because I bought it secondhand so that might sort the problem out. I was comparing this to the Peavey classic 50 and the AC15 just sounded better. It had a better hard rock sound and nicer cleans than the Peavey.

Mine hasn't broken down yet but from other peoples experience these amps are apparenlty not very reliable. I haven't gigged with it yet but soon will do. All the gigs I have played so far have been with other bands so If my amp fails I can always use theirs but I think I will gig a backup as it's to much trouble carrying around two amps and the ac15 weighs a tonne.

15w all-tube amp, has one channel with reverb and tremolo. Top boost which has Bass, Treble and Volume(gain). It has a External speaker input switchable between 8ohm and 16ohms. Speaker - Alnico Blue. It has standby Switch which is a good feature and it usually comes with a footswitch to turn the reverb/tremolo on and off but I didn't get one because I got my secondhand.

jeordie1
    I think u would know if u had a fuse problem by now coz my fuse blew on the second day i had it before i even took it off stand-by. Dont put a similar fuse back in (650mA i think), and the 1A fuse i put in blew too so put in a 2A fuse. therefore u kno u are gonna be safe. The 2A fuse i put in hasnt blown in ova a year now. Freaking sweet amp by the way, can handle any music style as long as u have pedals for high gain stuff. Very loud too!
    Wylde
    Shannock wrote: I tried the blue speaker version straight out of the box, it was dead as a dodo. Nice advert. I came away with an AD50-VT. The amp simulations are superb - even the AC15 and AC30. As the salesman said, "The AC15 is a nice amp., but at the end of the day, it has ONE sound."
    Wow... 1 sound??? If you can only get 1 sound out of an AC15 i feel sorry.
    Hi-imbob
    This amp sounds great but I really wouldn't recommend buying this amp. Ive got one and its nothing more than a headache, If only I had the money again. If your going to use this amp in a studio or for gigging, make sure you've got a backup. I treated this damn thing like royalty. Bottom line its simple a bad designed amp. bloody transformers and rectifiers! (mine started playing up after about 6 months)
    jeordie1
    @ JohnIsMyName If u consider a big muff pi 'fuzz' then it depends on how much distortion you start off with from the amp. If it is clean then the fuzz is very, well... fuzzy, and a bit shrill (can be adjusted with tone controls of course). All you get is the pedals fuzz. If the amp is already cookin then the fuzz becomes part of the distortion from the amp. There are quite a few sweet spots for mixing the fuzz and distortion to get great tone. To give you an example, i can get a convincing muse 'supermassive black hole' tone easily with humbuckers and not too bad even with single coils. Only when the amps distortion is really high to begin with does it get muddy.