AC15CC1 review by Vox

• Reviewer's score: 5.8 Decent
Vox: AC15CC1

I play blues, classic rock. I feed it through DigiTech RP500 multieffect, guitar is a copy of Brian May's Red Special with three singles with all possible combinations - usually play them in pairs with revered polarity, just as humbuckers. Vox is usually set to clean sound which gets a bit crunchy if I hit the string a little harder. I need to underline that the clean sound is awesome... Compared to other amps it is really something different. For high gain sound I prefer using it with some pedal, overdriven sound of the Vox itself is not quite my cup of tea... Anyway, it is one channel and if you want to play clean parts as well as distorted ones, you need a pedal to switch.

I am changing it at the moment for Orange Double Terror - I like the British Vintage tone, but I want something more reliable and easier to carry. Overall, pros: - great clean sound Cons: - I personally find it heavy and I always suffer when I need to carry it even to the car - poor reliability, electrically as well as mechanically

YouTube preview picture

Now this is why I decided to write this review. Reliability is a HUGE weak point of this amp. I know those children in China do their best, but I had mine three times in warranty repair, and when it was after warranty period I had it checked by a technician, who had to go through all circuitry to fix all the weak points. Also the tubes were at higher voltage than they should be according to tube specs, so I needed to have an additional resistor installed to lower the voltage. Also mechanically, handle is fixed by four short screws and it fell off the other day when I was about to lift the amp. Need to give it just a 1 because it plays on good days. Really sorry.

One channel all tube combo amplifier. Lovely reverb and tremolo, 3 band EQ, that's it and that's basically all you might need to rock. 15W, loud enough for average blues or classic rock band. Feature which I would appreciate is a power soak - it is still little too loud to play in an apartment where neighbors are really close. Mine's produced in China around 2007.

Leep_dog
    I think the Custom series of Vox amps addressed the reliability issues; check them out. I have had my AC15C1 for awhile and have had no issues with it at all and it sounds phenomenal.
    fuq9001
    More Features for the Little Leaguer Means Less Greatness for the Pro It seems as though VOX stuffed in a lot extra, yet redundant junk into the AC15C1. However, I do fully understand why they did this. It's a great business move on the part of VOX's marketing team. They really did their homework on this. For the first time in history, their focus changed by tailoring to their new target market. Simply put: today's consumers are greatly influenced on social media, reality television, and flat-out besting one another. Our "have it your way" mentality is what's driving consumer goods demand for (feature-rich) products and evidently the music instrument industry and VOX is no different. If VOX is like every other competitive company in the world, the idea was probably to offer added features on existing models (CC1 to C1) , bring in new and less expensive "mini" units, and design cheaper AC15 and AC30 look-alikes called Valve Reactors. It seems that the majority of new VOX customers are the less experienced players who know very little about what makes a guitar amp uniquely good and just enough industry-terms to sound like they do. Let's see what VOX's AC15C1 now gives its (I can't decide what I need to make me better than you, so I want some of everything) not so pro player 1. Tubes (as you might have guessed, the most important part to these guys) 2. The lower grade Celestion GreenBack (so they can say their VOX amp has a Celestion in it) 3. Two channels (Because everyone of their friends' amps have two channels, so they want one too) The once great AC 15 model is now capable of making just about everyone somewhat happy instead of the pro players/enthusiasts/tone gurus/and VOX faithfuls passionately in love with playing electric guitar and move slightly away from it's classic, notoriously simplistic engineering that has made pro players legendary for nearly half a century.
    nomach3
    Just Ordered me my first Vox ac15 cc1. and dont see too many reviews on this Vox cc1, does anybody have any Imformation on this amp. I plan to change out the Vox factory speaker for a Celestion Greenback... anybody???