AC15VR review by Vox

Vox: AC15VR

Purchased from: expressmusicstore

For the price this amp has a great sound, the only issue I have is when you turn the clean volume up it distorts but this also means you can get some great classic sounds. I surprised my friend with this amp because he didn't realise it could overdrive like it does, he is a heavy metal man. I use an old Les Paul copy with some Seymour Duncans in it, it really does sound fantastic, the distortion will kick you in the face.

I really think I got a great amp here, compared to other amps such as the Fender front man this is in a league of its own. Not to big but comes with a big punch. For the music I play I couldn't of found a better amp. If it was stolen? I don't know, find the guy and kill them would be the number one choice. I use a Boss DD-3 delay pedal and a wah wah. I strongly recommend this amp if you are after a easy to use and not too expensive amp.

I have used this amp for bedroom practice and gigging, it truly is a reliable amp, I have never had a problem with it. It does get a bit of a beating while being transported but has took all of it.

First of all this is a good amp. It has 3 channels, a clean channel, semi distortion and a full distortion. This is a very versatile amp and really does work with my style of music (mainly classic rock). It is a straight forward Vox style amp, no effects loop or any kind of digital programming which is a bonus if you want an affordable amp without it being confusing. I do wish it had an headphone socket, for house practise because this thing is loud, 12" speaker. This amp has a very good system called the 'valve reactor' (VR), and it can make some really good sounds. The sounds are not quite valve sounds but they are better then most others on the market. I do not know when or where it was made but the foot switch (the amp does not come with one) is made in Vietnam.

MaggaraMarine
    ^ Yeah, I don't get it why people think that tube amps are so unreliable. They are not. You don't even have to change tubes that often. Maybe every two years or more if you don't gig. And really, it's very easy to change tubes. Maybe easier than restringing your guitar.
    gndboy
    I've owned my AC15VR for the better part of three years. I am pleased with it except for the speaker which is getting replaced with a Weber Legacy 12L, like tomorrow. The amp itself is physically beautiful, and I like the clean chime. The new Weber speaker will improve the clean headroom. This AC15VR is the last of four amps to lose the Celestion speakers, which unfortunately I have found wanting for clean tone. The "normal" channel sounds great, and you can really turn it down soft without losing tone; in this regard the 'VR is superior to the all-out tube version. The OD is easy to control although I don't use it much. A two-button Marshall foot switch works perfectly and has a longer cable than the recommended Vox accessory. This amp has a sealed compartment for the speaker, which makes it a bit more modern sounding than a traditional AC15. Nonetheless, mid-neck second-position barre chords have that characteristic organ-like tone which is a Vox trademark. The voicing on this amp is spotless, and very close to perfect. The reverb could be stronger, but it works better at higher volume. The amp thumps when you turn it on, so be aware. Nothing to worry about, just know it's there so as not to surprise the sound tech. I have had this amp on for weeks at a time with no deleterious effects noted. While I have it apart to install the Weber speaker, I'll put a Svetlana 12AX7 tube in also to hear how that goes. The Svet is a really good clean tube with middle-of-the-road tone. We'll see. For well under four hundred bucks this is a very good and versitile amp which is plenty loud.