AC15VR review by Vox

Vox: AC15VR

Purchased from: used

This was made a few years ago, probably in China, but very nice product. Hybrid amplifier with interesting and specific technology. Looks amazing. Classic Vox looks. Not to heavy. Alot lighter then the all tube version. Has only one tube, but sounds amazing. It looks the same as the alltube versions. Only, it has a VR sticker at the right bottom. Has a clean channel and two drive channels. It doesn't have an fx-loop, but neither does the alltube version have. The 15 watt offcorse. But, I'm thinking about getting it made, beacause with a delay in the fx-loop, the second drive channel would probably kick ass for shredding. :)

This is an ingenious amplifier. It sounds like a true Vox AC15, only it lacks some warmth, because it has only one tube. But still, pretty warm. Prior to this amp, I had a Vox AC15CC1. Then I sold it, and bought an Engl. I still have that Engl, but with time, I really missed the classy Vox chime and grit. I didn't want to invest to much into a second amp. Plus, one of the reasons I sold my ex ACCC1 was because it ate tubes like a baby ate its mama's tits every morning. :) The tube in this one will last much longer. This Vox uses a specific tube technology, that I'm guessing has never been seen before. Other hybrid amps have the tube set in the preamp. This beast has the tube in the power section, where it acts like a miniature amplifier on it's own. Then it powered up with solid state technology, I think. In my opinion, this amplifier sounds even better than the all tube version. How is that possible, you ask? Well, many won't agree with me. But to me, it's just better sounding in terms of; it has more of that glassyness, a bit less warmth (which to me is a good thing, because the all tube version is a bit too warm), also more diversity with a possibility of more gain.

The amp is rock solid. A true Vox. You could put a woman on it and shag her all night, and the amp would be as happy as you. :) Probably it would scream even better later. :) This thing is built to last. You could use it in a stadium, ofcorse with a mic infront of it. It's a top notch amplifier. I got it used, but in mint condition. Well, this is a durable amp. It will last.

This amp is very versatile. But I mainly play rock. I own alot of gear. I'm a semi-pro. I have some top notch guitars, and some top notch amplifiers. I had even more as well. But I change music gear alot, just like the ladies as well. I'm guess I'm just a poligamic, nimphomanic bastard. Also, as I like to invent new words: poli-soundo-gamic? :)

Anyway, if you dig the Vox chime, but already have a main amp that defines your sound, and want a Vox just to harass it here and then (like me), I would advise you to get this. But you should definitely try it out in person before buying it. It's not for everyone's tastes. Really close sounding to the all-tube versions. To me even better, as I described before. Plus, it weights a lot less. It's much cheaper to run. It's more versatile, with second gain channel. This thing is a definite keeper. Cheers & keep shaggin!

Larsovitch
    I have this amp for almost a year now and im very happy with it. Sounds great and looks great. I use it with a 60's strat and a Ibanez Artist. In front I use a T-Rex Creamer, Boss DD6, Boss C3, and a Mooer Blues Mood as a boost for Channel 2. Loud enough for small gigs. Very nice amp for not so much money!