AC30CC2 review by Vox

Vox: AC30CC2

I mainly use my Fender Strat with this and it isn't very noisy at all. I have the smoothing caps set to Vintage though, so I do get a bit of hum when idling. This amp is famous for it's cleans. The only problem I have with it is that it takes A LOT to get this amp into overdrive (but I have it set so that it doesn't clip until using full power, which can be changed [see Output Bias features 3rd paragraph]). Overall, this amp sounds amazing.

I play blues, classic rock, and a little bit of country with this amp; and it does all of those genres well without pedals. I also own a Fender Tubemaster and an Oldfield amp made by Charlotte, NC amp builder, Paul Gusler. This amp holds it's ground with them, and they're custom shop amps! If I didn't have my Tubemaster for plexi-like tones, then I would probably wish this amp's channels could be A/Bd. This is a classic, great sound amp.

There is one problem that has affected every AC30, and that is bad soldering. It is very important for you to try out an AC30 before you buy it (sorry musicians friend), because they are for the most part hit and miss. If you do get a good one though, it is very durable and reliable. I gig a lot, my main income comes from gigging, and nothing has happened to this beast yet. Nothing bad has happened to me yet with this amp.

The Vox AC30CC2 is the newest model in the AC30 line. Several new improvements and features have been added, namely the spring reverb, tremolo, and the five channels they've done a great job of hiding. When the first AC30s came out, there were three types: Low (this didn't do so well, which is why it is not in this model), Normal, and Treble. In 1963 a new type of AC30 hit it big, the top boost. This new AC30 actually contains the circuitry of the Normal, Treble (hidden inside the normal EQ Switch), and the Top Boost channel. The two additional channels come from blending the top boost and the normal channel (which could be set to either normal or Treble). So when you pay $999, you are essentially getting three classic analog amps. The top boost channel also comes with a three band EQ and another EQ Switch that switches between standard and custom. In the master section there is a tone knob, which affects all channels. Like the one on the original amps, moving this up and down will change your tone like on your guitar. If you have the Top Boost set to standard, it will react with the tone knob more actively, and you will see a big difference (like the Vintage AC30s). If you have it set to custom (also known as the modern setting), the tone knob will have less of an effect on the tone. There are numerous other features located in the back of the amp such as Output select (16 Ohm or 8 Ohm), Output Bias (changes how powerful you can run the amp without clipping), smoothing (changes if you hear ghost notes and overtones like a Vintage amp or the tighter sound of a modern amp), and a true bypass effects loop. This is an all tube (even has a tube rectifier) class A guitar amplifier.

Snorglorf
    I've played a few different Vox AC30's and AC15's, some used and some new, and they're all great. I've never owned one, but I hope to soon. They're easily the greatest amp I have ever played through.
    TresFord
    i've just purchased myself an AC30-CC2 locally after just playing it once! it is an absolutly amazing piece of kit! the tone you can get out of this amp, a fenter strat and a boss blues driver is phenominal. so glad that ive finally worked up enough money to move on from my marshall mg series days! lol the tone is mindblowing!