AC30CC2 review by Vox

Vox: AC30CC2

Purchased from: Crowleys Music Cork

I use an MIA Strat with stock pickups usually through a Boss BD2 and SD1. This is the perfect classic rock amp, it absolutely nails those Zeppelin/ACDC tones. It's got the most beautiful sparkly cleans I've ever heard. It doesn't have a lot of gain which is why I use the Boss SD-1 as a clean boost for some more gainy rhythms and the BD-2 for leads. It can be a bit noisey at times as you'll find will any AC30 especially with my strats single coils. The 30 has enough head room for any medium to large gigs whereas the 15 is lacking in this area. In terms of gain think Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love or ACDC's Highway to Hell, it nails these sounds. If yoiu want classic rock look no further! The only reason I'm giving it less than a 10 is because I don't like the EQ which I find quite unresponsive.

I play a lot of classic rock, funk, modern rock and blues and this amp is perfect for all of it. However it will need a pedal to boost it for solos and heavier tones. I've been playing seriously for around 3 years, I started off with a little Roland SS amp and moved on to a Roland Cube 60 before getting this and I can honestly say that nothing can beat that true tube tone. If it was stolen I would seriously consider buying it again or maybe one of the new higher gain AC30s. I love the reverb on this amp, it's very sweet and natural sounding. The only thing I wish it had is a tad more gain.

I've had this amp for around 4-5 months now and so far no complaints as regards durability. I gig regularly but would not go without a backup becaus of the AC30 shaky reliability in the past. I have heard some bad stories about these amps breaking down after weeks and that kind of thing but these problems seemed to have only in the first few hundred amps and seem to have been fixed by Korg now. The only complaint I have is a scratchy volume pot but that's an easy fix anyway For me, I can't give the amp a bad mark here but won't give it a 10 due to that scratchy pot.

As far as features go, it has got plenty to keep you happy. It's got beautiful spring reverb, tremolo, master volume, 2 blendable channels, brilliance Switch, Switch to choose between 22 and 33 watts, true bypass FX loop. The channels are not footswitchable although I've found a little trick to solve this (leave me a comment or PM me if you want details). Not the most versatile amp you'll see but then again Who buys an AC30 for versatility? It's got 4x EL84's, 3x 12AX7's amd a GZ34 tube and uses Custom Wharfdale speakers. All it's short are footswitchable channels.

shaunems
    leonkennedy74
    I'm a little confused as to where this idea of too little gain is coming from. I played one just yesterday, anticipating that I might make a little Christmas purchase for myself, and the gain was pure sex on it. It's sensitive, clear but peppy and snappy to your ears. To get more gain, you need to learn to balance the different volume controls, and if you can't figure it out I feel really bad for you, cuz you're not tapping the full potential of this amp.
    speedfreak_808
    shaunems wrote: what pedals such as overdrive etc. go well with this amp? beacuse ive tossed up between a jcm 800 and this and im confused cos i want great tone like the ac30 with rockin overdrive/ distortion but can you get sounds like thrices latest album water and fire with a pedal through the vox ac30? sorry if this question is confusing... please helppp!!
    Check out the MI Audio Crunch Box. Cranked Marshall in a box on a budget.
    Vabolo
    If I'm on a tighter budget, would an AC30CC1 do a decent job?
    Fingers4u
    I own this amp and it does sound pretty damn good. However, if you truly want the best tone (distortion or clean) get yourself a 1977 or 1978 Marshall Mark 2. Truly the Best of the best... In the studio I've used Mesa, Rivera, VHT(now Fryette), VOX, Orange and Fender amps and I'm telling you, we always end up using the old tried and true MKII. Good luck getting your perfect tone!
    Rhoads_1096
    JayLacelle wrote: wmzbomgzors wrote: ... top boost IS the clean channel. nope. the normal channel is clean, the top boost is for overdrive.
    No they are 2 differently voiced channels, they can be used both clean and overdriven, brian may used the normal channel and he runs his dirty. Its just a preference thing. And With a pedal you can get some good marshall and Orange tones but you can't get a pedal that gets you cleans this good I can play hard rock to light metal with a pedal on this
    JayLacelle
    wmzbomgzors wrote: ... top boost IS the clean channel.
    nope. the normal channel is clean, the top boost is for overdrive.
    guitarNbass
    live4ever2008 wrote: What would sound better? one of these or a Fender Twin Reverb, clean with a Ibanez TS-808 for distortion?
    it's all preference man, go out and try it yourself. I do own an AC30 now. Fender and VOX are completely different. Vox is so jangly and chimey, and the fender is more smooth. YOu just gotta' try it for yourself.
    live4ever2008
    tom_martin_123
    i want it i want it i want it i want it sooooo badly... its my next amp when i've saved up... so i won't be eating or drinking for the next few months lol
    the_guy
    ^lol i totally agree, i played one yesterday and was completely blone away by its power an tone. the clean is incredible! i prefer it 2 the fender hot rod deluxes clean. and if you boost the pre amp volume, you get the incredible british crunch which voxes are famous for. this is a real guitar amplifier
    stratomasterb
    I tried it today, im looking for a bluesy crunch i turned the top up all the way and it sounds better for rhythm and not bluesy solos i bet my tubescreamer would sound amazing on it though i want to try it.
    prog_gtrboy12
    ive been waiting all summer to have enough to one, and im finally getting it next week! :] played on it a couple of times with a Jazzmaster, and twice with my Sg,and it sounds just lustrious. its pristine!!! it'll sound beautiful with my english muff'n, dd-7, moog ringmodulator, stereo memory man and my digitech whammy :] i mean, dont mean to brag or anything,haha .
    jmh_42-70
    i'm trying to decide between this and a 65amps soho. Anyone compared the two?
    guitarNbass
    This amp as the greatest clean tone in the world. Even if you got active emg's, like me, it'll still sound absolutely amazing. I LOVE THIS AMP. My mother won't let me get it because she thinks it's too loud. She can suck my dick.
    yohji
    saw mike einziger in singapore and hes using the ac30 sound friggin awesome no doubt and went straight to the store to try it, lovin it and bought em right away. the only thing that freak me out after reading forum on the reliability
    -sam-
    play it with a tele and a boss DD3 delay, sounds awesome.
    sherry07
    tom_martin_123 wrote: Brian May's amp... and we all know how much he rocks
    Thought it was Deacon's....