AC30CCH review by Vox

Vox: AC30CCH

Purchased from: LA Music

I'm playing a Mexican Fender Strat and a Gibson Les Paul Studio through this Vox and I play mostly blues, rock, and alternative rock. This suits my style of playing, because you can get an amazingly punchy clean sound and a really growling overdrive on another setting. If you are playing with a single coil guitar through it on the Vintage smoothing setting with the top boost on, it will hum a bit, but that has never bothered me with amps. This amp can get any sound except distortion. Even at it's highest settings for gain you can still play any intervals you want. You propbably won't want this amp for metal.

This is my first serious amp and it suits all my styles. I own a TS9 and other pedals, but I only run the TS9 into this amp. If this amp were stolen I'd be really upset about it and buy another and have to be extra careful. I love the tonal diversity you can achieve with this setup. There is so much you can do with the total of three volume knobs on the amp (pre-amp and master knobs) and the tone and volume on the guitar. If you have the guitar low you can go completely clean and move the knob a slight turn and you have that crunch you need. I compared this with a lot of Fender amps and Mesa Boogie products in a similar price range. They all held some good features and sounds, but the Vox AC30CCH was the most interesting to me. I couldn't ask for much more from this amp.

I have not had this amp too long so I can't say how it will react in the long run. Everything is very solidly made and is sturdy so far. So for now it will get a ten.

This amp is very versitile. It can produce an excellent clean sound and all the degrees of overdrive you want. It potentially has three channels. There is normal, top boost, and a blended channel of both. You have to Switch inputs (there are two) to change from normal to top boost, but in top boost you can flip the link Switch to blend the two. There is an effects loop on the back panel that has a Switch which with you can select -10db (stomp boxes) or +4db (racks) settings. There is not an assigned head phone jack, but with an adapter you can most likely hook up through the loud speaker out put in the back. This amp is fairly straight forward, but has many subtle features and nuances. To name some there is a brilliance Switch (treble boost in normal channel), custom and standard EQ Switch, reverb with mix, dwell, and tone, tremolo with speed and depth, a tone cut knob, pre-amp and master volume controls, output bias of 82 (warm) or 50 (hot), and Vintage or modern smoothing settings. This amp is 30 tube watts and is plenty loud for personal enjoyment and small to medium sized venues. I am playing it through a A212BN cab (Vox)which sounds very nice. Spending some time with this amp and getting to know how to milk the tone you want really makes it Shine.

sonnyblu42
    Why when you call dealers that stock them say "Well, I received six of them and had to send them all back to KORG" ? Where do you find the good ones?