AC30VR review by Vox

Vox: AC30VR

Price paid: A$ 600

Purchased from: -

I use a Gibson Les Paul Junior with this Amp. I find the two go together very well. The body of a P-90 pickup with the chime and punch of the AC30VR suit my style of music very well (Classic Rock, Blues). Just by changing the equalizer knobs, you can get a very wide range of sounds. This amp uses a real tube in the Pre-Amp which doesn't sacrifice much tone at all, but causes the prices of the amp to be significantly cheaper. With Gain up higher, it does get a tad noisy but doesn't interfere much. This amp is not quiet and not loud, it can easily play over a drum kit. The "Normal" Channel does get distorted when up high. I found that to get fully clean, chimey sound, the channel volume had to be under 9 o' Clock. All up, this suits Perfectly to my guitar and my style of music.

This amp is VERY well suited to my style of music, and my guitar. I've tried other guitars with this amp and they have been a variety of Gibson Guitars including a Les Paul Standard, and an ES-335 and they sound very punchy and mid-rangy. Perfect for my style of music. It looks very nice and vintage. It could be louder, but "meh". IF it were stolen, I'd cry. Yes, that is how much I love this amp. Critisize me if you must. I have a Line 6 Spider III 15w but I never use it. I only use that when I desperately need volume, in which case it is VERY loud.

I would use this at a gig without hesitation. It has never failed on me, ever. It has no problems with it being stock, though some people would change the speakers that come with it. I think they're just fine. It's build quality is exceptionally well done and tightly put together, minor bumps wouldn't have effects on it besides cosmetic damage.

This amp is not so much versatile in terms of the different sounds and tones that it can make but it does sound awesome. So much Chime and Punch on clean, and on the overdrive channel it provides all the gain that I need. Although someone who played more metal and hardcore rock would need more. This Amp uses Valve Reactor Technology which pretty much means it uses a tube in the Pre-Amp and the rest is solid state, providing more versatility than the original AC30. It supports a new Foot-switch, and works well with pedals.

Nick184
    bartnijman wrote: seriously, how many amps have you ever played? 2?5?10?20? UG has to do something about those stupid reviews of 14 y.o. who give everything a 10 'because it ****ing rocks dude!!! check it out man!! this is like the coolest amp ever!! just look at it!! W00T!!!!' seriously.....
    How many UG reviews have you read? 2?5?10?20? This is nature of almost every review on here... if you're expecting well balanced reviews by people with college degrees you'd better buy a magazine.
    BrokenDstring
    more versatility than the original AC30 you say? Not sure if serious. Bad review, I stopped after that.
    bartnijman
    8/10/10/10: so this is an amp that is almost unbeatable? this amp is one of the best in the world? only a few other amps can top this, with a score of 9/10/10/10 or even 10/10/10/10 (wich doesnt exist probably)..... seriously, how many amps have you ever played? 2?5?10?20? UG has to do something about those stupid reviews of 14 y.o. who give everything a 10 'because it ****ing rocks dude!!! check it out man!! this is like the coolest amp ever!! just look at it!! W00T!!!!' seriously.....
    EpiExplorer
    julzius
    i'm pretty sure the valve in these bad boys are in the POWER AMP. They are in my VT100, and i'm guessing they kept it. read the user manual?
    themelodicdeathshow
    EpiExplorer wrote: If it isn't quiet or loud, what is it then? o.0 Nice amp though, would be a consideration when I buy a tube.
    Its not a full tube its a hybrid amp.
    themelodicdeathshow
    julzius wrote: i'm pretty sure the valve in these bad boys are in the POWER AMP. They are in my VT100, and i'm guessing they kept it. Your right they have a preamp tube placed in the power amp along with there valve reactor. Its all on there websight voxamps.com read the user manual?
    Seref
    Played one of these in a store. It was meh. You'd be better off looking for a real AC15 or AC30 on craigslist.
    NickGiovanni
    GezzyDiversion wrote: You only need a 15w spider when you need volume, this is 30 watts?
    Spiders are loud as f*ck. I had that same amp and used it to play a small club, it drowned out the drummer
    zeppdc