AC30VR review by Vox

Vox: AC30VR

Purchased from: Nevada Music

I've playted my squire telecaster custom II and Vintage V100 through this amp. Both have stock pickups. I play alot classic rock tunes (Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Queen), some rock/alternative tunes (White Stripes, Muse, Foo FIghters) through it. This amp can produce feedback but don't worry it can sound great if you control it like jimi hendrix does, so for the amount of gain you get out of this amp it's quite unvelivebal there is little hiss or feedback. This amp has a very warm tone on the od-1 channel and can achieve that great classic rock sound with tweaking around and od-2 I didn't really notice alot of difference through changes to the eq or gain as it just sounds very high gain so will be great for modern rock but this amp has left me wanting more from it but for the price the sound you get is magnificent as compared to my other solid state amps I've had there is a real responce to the dynamics of you playing. The tube in the amp contrary to many does work it has a great suction when you turn the volume pots on your guitar down so you can go from classic rock to gental clean however there is a variation in volume but that can be fixed with some tweaking of the settings. Even though I love to play rock on my bridge pick-up's this amp responds with clarity for the neck pick-up making me change now my sound beffier and sharper than before. The reverb was the weakest part of the amp itr's nice to have but it's isn't very good. But the best part of this amp to see is when you have it turned to 11 and you see the amount of air the speakers shift, it is unatural. Like I think I have mentioned to really get the most out of this ac30 is to crank it up.

I would have liked to play around with the footswitch with this amp like I did in store but was unable to buy due to funds. It would be worthwhile to purchase the footswitch to make channel swithcing on stage however there is a slight delay but I think that might differe between pedals. After owning a Vypyr 15 and and ornage Crush 30R this amp is easily the best purchase I have made it is so much better for tone and style. This amp has a slight warmth of a tube amp but it is 75% solid state so your still no were near the tone of a tube amp but this amp would be a great amp to have before going to tube's because of the responce this amp gives and the variation in tonality you can have.

This amp is really sturdy and I think this amp would be reliable for gigs in small and medium venues. I think this amp was really made to be portable for small gigs and practice, however it depends if you want to take it to practise all the time if you don't practise at home because at 23kg's it is lighter than a real ac30 but it dosen't mean you want to carry it up and down the stairs all the times. It would be best for two people to carry it but if your on your own it can be a hassle however with the three handle it is made slightlier easier and I reckon it could easily take the abuse that would naturally occur.

The Vox AC30VR is a 30 watt hybrid amp with 2 Channels. The clean channel has a 2 band eq with bass and treble and the overdrive chaqnnel which has a three band eq with seperate volume and gain controls and has two modes od-1 and od-2, Reverb, Tone Cut. The amplifier has a headphone jack, a footswitch jack, and it has a jack to hook up to an external cab (8 ohm). This amp is equiped with two 12" Vox speakers. The 2 band EQ on the clean channel gives a small or big amount of control over the EQ, I found the 3 band to give me control and able to get the sound I want. This amp is loud for a 30w hybrid amp however with its two 12" speakers I believe the output is now 60W but I am unsure, this amp can be used at home but if you really want to get the best of it save it for band practice and small to medium gigs. The reverb can be either in little in quantity or alot so it would be best not to rely on it. The tone cut is a great feature howver if you turn it two far clockwise you lose the higher frequencies that you will desire so maybe Vox could of shortened the range it efects but be able to affect it easilier. The optional footswitch allows you to turn the the channels and the reverb on. This amp is fairly versatile, after band practise last night I have discovered that this amp can go from beautiful cleans to fairly heavy metal and without the use of pedals, however at times you can think wait why have I got this sound this amp will react to the enviroment be it hot or cold. This amp in britain is around 400 new

sulev.com
    I did swap speaker`s to Vintage 30, tube is nos RFT...damn´now that thing is loud... Clean channel is perfect IMHO, OD -is so-so but ok, OD2-is what I usually dont use ( too modern sounding).I like OD settings but I prefer sound from my od pedal+ tubeamp better. With orig. speakers and made in china low end cheap tube I did not like that amp at all... lifeless sounding was.
    MortifiedLizard
    NickGiovanni wrote: GezzyDiversion wrote: You only need a 15w spider when you need volume, this is 30 watts? Spiders are loud as f*ck. I had that same amp and used it to play a small club, it drowned out the drummer
    No kidding, my old 30 watt was stupidly loud. Sounded bad at low volume and worse at high volume but it was pretty much designed to be used in an amateur metal band with a crappy drummer with a 10-piece drum set he got for his birthday.
    MaggaraMarine
    bartnijman wrote: 8/10/10/10: so this is an amp that is almost unbeatable? this amp is one of the best in the world? only a few other amps can top this, with a score of 9/10/10/10 or even 10/10/10/10 (wich doesnt exist probably)..... seriously, how many amps have you ever played? 2?5?10?20? UG has to do something about those stupid reviews of 14 y.o. who give everything a 10 'because it ****ing rocks dude!!! check it out man!! this is like the coolest amp ever!! just look at it!! W00T!!!!' seriously.....
    Don't only look at the rating he gives to the amp. You should also read the review (though all-10 reviews are very seldom helpful.)
    bastards
    These amps are totally awesome. My friends dad has one and I played his Les Paul gold top now fitted with some mini-buckers and I lost about 2 hours of my time to it. It can get pretty nasty and the cleans are pretty too.
    Josh100
    Does this amp work well with distortion and modulation effects pedals.. I play mostly grunge (Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins etc.) and am considering this amp. Does anyone know if it can do these styles and does it work well with pedals? Thanks
    Josh100
    1 more thing-I've heard that these amps can delay pedals a bit so when you step on the pedal the sounds comes through like a second or so later. Does this depend on what the pedal is or what? Could someone please answer because I'm considering this amp lots and am not really sure what amp to get. I don't really want this happening.
    ISwanton
    @Josh100, The amp does struggle with drums at times unless you really crank the volume but then if your switching between clean and od that's not always the best option bloody drummers lol but tbh i rather have it mic'd up. Regarding your question on pedals I have a multi effects pedal and being honest it sounds awful plugged into my vox and i've haven't had much luck with cheap boss pedals. However i believe if you have a decent pedal it should work very well with the amp, also the delay is only on the vox footswitch. I've owned the amp for over a year now and it still performs wonderfully so definatley worth buying.
    adamovens
    Is this amp louder, or around the same ballpark of loud as the Fender Frontman 100w? i know it's 30w and the FF is 100w but, without being cranked, can this 30w amp keep up? I have the Fender amp right now and i'm looking at the AC30vr amp to buy for my next purchase, and i wonder, if the tube in the power-section makes it just as loud as the 100w SS amp?
    danielvwaes
    Is this amp any good with the Wampler Pinnacle deluxe? Cheers
    danielvwaes
    Got a new update about using the Vox AC30 VR and any distortion pedal. It's a crappy combination, makes it sound so bad. So, If you want to play with your own distortion pedal, DONT BUY THIS AMP. Dont get me wrong, it's a good AMP, but EVERY Distortion pedal I've used just doesn't sound good on this amp.