AC4 review by Vox

Vox: AC4

Price paid: C$ 330

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

I'm playing through a Statocaster. The Vox is quiet in spite of the single coils. The 10 inch speaker really gives it that extra oomph and sets it apart from other low-wattage tube amps. I noticed almost no difference in sound quality when switching from 4 to 1 watt, however 1/4 watts felt a little flat. The amp is quite bright; it is extremely responsive to pick attack. It's a joy to be able to go from a chiming clean to a gritty crunch just by hitting the strings a little harder. You can't achieve anything truly brutal with the Vox, however it does classic rock a la AC/DC very well. The cleans are extremely bright and shimmery; the overdrive can be sleek and smooth or dirty as hell depending how you play.

For rock, blues, funk, and anything in between the AC4 is affordable bliss. It won't give you uber gain, unless you're running a pedal through it. In this price range you'd be hard pressed to find another option that would give you such a warm sound. There are certainly features some guitar players might wish it had, but the Vox AC4 is deceiving in it's simplicity, and with a little creativity it's possible to coax anything from ACDC to Chili Peppers out of it.

I haven't experienced any problems with it. Vox is a respected manufacturer of quality products; furthermore, I have a 1 year warranty. At 4 watts, I couldn't see gigging with the AC4, however it's great for jamming with other guitarists, and playing by myself.

On/Off Switch. 4, 1 and 1/4 watt attunator. Volume and Tone knob. Has one extrenal speaker plug. 1 channel. 10 inch 16-Ohm Celestion VX10 custom speaker. One 12AX7 Pre amp tube, one EL84 Power tube. 20 lbs. It's simple and it's sleek. A lot of people are looking for more features in an amp, but I think at the price you get a lot of versatility, and excellent sound quality to boot. By adjusting the tone and volume knobs on the amp and your guitar it's possible to achieve a myriad of sounds. I'd like bass and treble knobs; furthermore, the lack of a standby Switch may confuse some people.

Wulver
    I've tried this amp a few times in various music stores, and it's pretty sweet. If you like the Vox overdrive sound, then you really can't avoid getting this, it's just too cool.
    SameOld
    Agreed. It's such a great amp, but it does lack features. Regardless, I love mine.
    GIBSONroks6167
    this is a great studio/practice/jamming amp. i recently traded in a guitar, and after I had picked out my new one I still had a couple hundred left so I picked up one of these (the stack version w/ the 12 inch speaker) figuring I'd use it as a practice amp. Low and behold, this amp became my favorite to play, and I would seriously consider using it in the studio. IMO, there is NO better amp for this price. P.S. I've found it the best with single coils, so go crazy strat-addicts.