AC4TV review by Vox

Vox: AC4TV

Purchased from: Allan's

I'm a blues/rock player and use this with a 93 American Standard Stratocaster. I'm a 35 year old guy whose gigging days are a thing of the past, so I wanted a low wattage amp for mucking around on and occasionally recording. The clean tones are quite bright, think early Beatles. With mid volume it will start to break up reasonably easily depending how hard you attack the strings. Push the volume all the way up and things start to go from crunch to mud by the time you hit upper volume. Obviously it sounds better at 4w but is serviceable at the 1 and 1/4 watt settings. To be honest I'm not in love with the Vox sound, but this was really the only thing out there at the time, apart from modeling amps. I prefer a little more bass and the mids hollowed out. It really doesn't have much of a bottom end, but obviously you can't expect miracles from a 10" speaker. It's an okay little amp, I'd certainly recommend it to a beginner.

I'm more of a blues player than anything, and If I were in the market again for a low watt amp I'd probably be looking at the Fender Vibro Champ. That being said in the price bracket there is nothing terribly wrong with the AC4, but there's nothing terribly right with it either. It does the job, but it doesn't exactly inspire you either.

It's been pretty good on the reliability front, I've had a child in between buying it and now and took a year hiatus from playing electrically. I really should've warmed up the tubes every now and again, but I'm lazy so I didn't. Regardless it kicked back in a year later without a squeak. Speaking of squeaks, don't know what the dude above is talking about, haven't had a single issue with unwanted feedback or random sounds. I wouldn't gig with it, but if I did I'd be confident it would hold up just fine.

The detailed specs are above, 4w tube combo. 10" speaker. Volume, tone and power attenuator to knock it down to a quarter watt to save the neighbors. It's a basic tube practice amp with very few frills. You couldn't use this in a band, even cranked out you'd be hard pressed to compete with a drummer. I bought this late 2009. Also they do look pretty cool.