AC50CP2 review by Vox

Vox: AC50CP2

I am using this amp with an Ibanez SA2020FM prestige and I've also used this amp extensively with a Fender Mexican Standard Stratocaster In my chain also is a Fulltone Fulldrive and a Boss BD-2. Straight into the clean channel with all the knobs set to 12'o'clock the sound is very jangly and quite bright, rolling on the bass and the tone cut gives a much more pleasant, warm tone. Going the opposite direction and piling on the treble will get you into country territory comfortably. Although this IS the clean channel you can easily roll up the gain to bring the amp into classic rock territory, giving your sound a nice, mild crunch. Moving on to channel two with all the parameters set to 12'o'clock the sound is crunchy, not terribly distorted but certainly not clean, think led zeppelin kind of gain but if you engage the upper mid boost and roll up the gain this amp has a whole different personality, the gain can get pretty brutal (will handle anything except modern metal) but unfortunately the mids can get very, very nasal. Using a tube screamer type pedal will make the amp sound tons better while the mid boost is engaged, producing a round, smooth lead tone. I must stress though, this amp is not fantastic (standalone) for modern metal, it just can't do it without sounding nasal and scratchy. This amp is for those of you Who want excellent cleans and good crunch with a bit of extra versatility. I have gotten some unwanted noise from the amp, mainly when on higher gain setting sitting extremely close to the amp.

I play a lot of different styles of music mainly blues, rock, alternative, indie, instrumental rock and sometimes dabble in lighter forms of metal. This amp is a perfect match for me and handles everything I play well except for metal. I've been playing for 5 years and own this amp, my pride and joy Ibanez Prestige, a Fulltone Fulldrive, a Boss BD-2 and other assorted pedals. If this amp were stolen/lost I probably would buy a different amp just because I don't need 50 watts, it's not a downside; I just don't need that much power. Before buying I compared the Vox to a Marshall Vintage modern, which although decent, lacked on versatility, a Fender 4x10 deville which was good, but only on single coiled guitars and an AC30 which was fantastic, the cleans were noticeably better than the AC50CP2's but again, lacked the versatility.

I depend on this amp and would always gig it without a backup. It hasn't broken down on me and I've had it for 10 months now. I cannot say that it is bulletproof and there is no chance of it breaking down, simply because it is a tube amp and all of them are prone to minor problems regardless of build quality.

I'm reviewing the new Vox AC50CP2 2x12 it has 2 channels, an effects loop, balanced and unbalanced direct outs, foot switchable reverb and 50 watts of tube power running on EL34s into two Vox/Warfedale GSH1230 speakers. The parameters on the clean channel are: gain, bass, mid, treble, tone cut, volume and the parameters are the same on the dist channel except there's no tone cut knob and they have added a presence knob, mid boost Switch and a bright switch. I primarily use this amp for band and home practice and it's got plenty of power for those applications, I can get over drums, another guitar, bass and vocals with ease before the amp even begins to break up.