AD100VT-XL review by Vox

Vox: AD100VT-XL

Purchased from: Local Music Store

I use a Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany with this amp. My pickups are Burstbucker Pros. I play everything from blues to metal. It might take a while since the first few days you have this amp it can be a bit difficult to figure out how to tweak it just right, but you can get just about any sound out of it. It sounds almost identical to a tube amp. It can deliver everything from beautiful cleans to crazy ammounts of gain. It sounds wonderful.

I play many styles of music, and this suits them all. If you play mostly blues or classic rock, I'd recommend going with the standard Valvetronix series instead, but if you play a lot of hard rock or metal, go with this one. This is geared more for metal and hard rock, but can produce some perfect sounds for blues and ska and such, and has some gorgeous cleans. The only downside to this amp is it takes A lot of tweaking to get the perfect sound out of it, but the sounds it is capable of producing are amazing. I play a lot of Sublime, and this is perfect. I play a lot of Metallica as well, and this also suits that even better. I compared this to a Peavey Valveking, and regular Valvetronix. I liked the Vox sound better than the Valveking (didn't like the valveking distortion), and it was close between this and the regular valvetronix. I'd say it is a close tie between this and the standard Vox AD series, but I went with this because I was able to get similar clean sounds out of this, and was able to get much more gain out of this. Overall this is an excellent amp, and would recommend it to anyone.

I would definitely trust this amp in any situation. It does have a breakable tube in it, so I wouldn't go throwing it out the window or anything, but it seems pretty sturdy, and very reliable. It has never given me any problems so far. The metal grill seems like it could prevent most things that would get your speakers knocked in.

This is a Vox 100 watt hybrid amp, meaning it is a mix of SS and tube. It has 2 12inch speakers. This amp has 11 amp models, and 11 effects. Most of the amp models are great, except a couple need tweaking to get a great sound. You can program in 2 presets to your liking. There are 9 distorted channels, and 2 clean ones. The clean channels are exceptionally nice sounding. Most of the channels have some built in effects, but they can be turned off using the bypass button, or you can pick a different effect using the effect selector knob. You can change the sound of each channel to your liking using the the treble, bass, gain, etc. You can get nice bluesy tones this way from some of the channels. The distorted channels are mostly good, none of them are horrible. Thrashed and modern are great for Metallica and Megadeth style stuff, Raged and modern both sound good for Rage Against The Machine, and pretty much any style of hard rock sounds good through most of the channels. The effects are for the most part good. The main problem with the effects is you can't combine them, there are 11 built in effects, with several of those being combinations that came built in. You can edit the properties of the effects, but a little more customization would have been a nice touch. There is an optional footswitch, but it's an extra $35.

UrMomsMom
    I tried it.. but the distortions a little muddy, maybe you can give us some setings or something like that ?
    PRSweet
    I played this amp at a local Guitar Store, and I have to say I wasn't that impressed. It just sounded...well...bad. Not a big fan. A friend of mine has the AD100VT it's really a better purchase. I'm not sure why there seems to have been such a difference, but it's there.
    iheartmy7
    HELLSHREDD
    I just recently took back my ad50vt-xl for the 100 watt version & let me tell you folks , DO NOT BUY this 100 watter it ****ing sucks! It has an open back & sounds like crap period, BUT the 50 watt version is simply amazing with the closed back , so if you are into metal go4 the 50 watter & be so happy without spending thousands
    mtfrankenstein
    i just bought AD100VT-XL,when i plug in my guitar for the first time hit the Preset button, the two clean models are fine but the preset Amp models from Crunched to Damaged is really noisy, muddy and almost unplayable. But i messed around a little bit with the knobs on the Dameged model on the Manual mode and it was the alright. My question is do i have to go through each and every Amp models and change them? Any help?
    Mattlikesguitar
    This little amp might be the most bargain, universal metal amp you can get. OK so its not fully a tube amp, but for metal who cares, I mean some metal guitarists use SS amps anyway. Ive read some critism of the valvetronix saying thay should have used a power amp tube instead of a preamp tube (12ax7) as a power tube . But for metal/hard rock that may not matter.
    HELLSHREDD
    Try turning your volume on the guitar down & add some chorus , you will get some sweet clean sound.
    iheartmy7 wrote: LivioBR : i got this amp... and i actually have spent time tweaking it and i have some complaints...i dont know why de clean channel (glass) has som gain in it.. and when i turn the gain knob to the left it loses volume.. so i just have to put up with that damn fuzz lol...and my other problem is that it seemsthat the only decent distortion it has is damaged... for example thrashed has almost no gain and i certainly cant use it to play metallica... well so i'm a bit worried i'm not sure if its because of my guitar (rg1550 with dimarzio tone zones)... or if there's something wrong with the amp, because i'm sure it has to be better than that... well i would really apreciate some tips or advices thats actually the 3rd complaint i've heard from someone using this amp with dimarzio tone zones, it must be a combination of the 2.
    HELLSHREDD
    VOX has been making amps for over 50 years , & this amp in 50 watts kicks some serious ass! I have owned it for 1 week & im very happy with it & for the price i really dont think anything will come close ! I might take it back & get the 100 watt , but im not sure cuz this little one sounds so great , but if you wanna get some great sound grab this amp & rock out!
    Riffing Demon
    Oh and just FYI this amp was built for metal. If you want sweet cleans, go buy a fender or something..... Not trying to be an ass just letting people know.
    Riffing Demon
    I have to agree with HELLSHREDD the line 6 isnt a bad amp but if your wanting a metal amp then this amp is the one to buy. I've been to the guitar shop about 100 time in the last 3 weeks trying out amps. I had a budget so I used almost all the amps in the shop and my last amp was this one today. The 50 watt version was what came home after 3 weeks of having no idea what to get. I wanted something to play anything from Metallica to Slayer to Suicide Silence, this ****ing amp can do it all. Better sounding than a Roland Cube and KILLED the Line 6!! I use a Ibanez Xiphos with D-activator pickups. Sounds brutal as ****!! Buy this amp if you want killer metal tones for a good price!!!!!
    dirtfoot
    LivioBR -IMHO there is no better passive pickup than the Tone Zone so I don't think you need to replace those. Me thinks your amp may need service work instead.
    HELLSHREDD
    i picked up the 50 watt 2x12 xl & it is great for lead & for 414$ canadian it is worth every dollar , i play with EMG-81 & it sound wicked for the bedroom, a great practice amp for metal & better than line .
    LivioBR
    i bought this one... and i have experienced some problems with it.. but i think maybe its because there's something wrong with the tube or something... first the clean channels (glass and funked) have some gain in them.. and if i turn de gain knob to the left they start to loose volume, so its not possible to remove that damn fuzz completely... secondly most of the dirty channels don't have much gain, for example my thrashed channel is far from heavy and i certainly can't play metallica with it, and in some of the other channels when the volume is high there's a screeching sound when i stop playing(it's not feedback at all, and it's in some channels like damaged or raged).. well, besides i have spent some time tweaking it and i can't fix these problems... by the way my guitar is a rg1550 with dimarzio tone zones.. so i would really like someone to tell me if its because i need better pickups or there's something wrong qith the tube or some part of the amp... or if it just sucks..
    LivioBR
    KY_GuitarMan
    Honestly I've spent a lot of time using this amp and Line 6 Flextone III XL. They're both relatively the same cost. I think the Line 6, although it's 100% solid state, beats the Valvetronix. Tone is very subjective to guitarists. We all know this. The Flextone gives you more flexibility when tweaking to get the sound you want. I hear a lot of guys give quick reviews on the Line 6. "Bad low end, distortions muddy out." I used to be one of those guys but it's only because I wasn't putting in the time to tweak it. A lot of guys don't realize that the tone controls (drive, presence, treble, mid, bass) are different for every amp model. You really have to put in the time and tweak the models you want. The day that I decided to do that I was at Guitar Center and there was a Line 6 tech there putting on a demo of the Flextone. He had the same one I owned right out of the box (I watched him open it). He was blowing away everything I could do. I even stayed after to challenge him. I thought he had to be cheating somehow. He told me the same thing about the tone controls and asked me what I'd like to model. For the heck of it I threw out "Hell's Bells" by AC/DC. That tune has some really good chimey tube tone. I'll be damned if this guy didn't dial it in amazingly close in about 30 seconds. He was on the jcm 800 model had the treble fairly low (3-4) and the presence all the way up. He also had the drive lower than I would have tried and changed the reverb type (something I didn't even know you could do). After that I realized I had to put in the time and I've been very happy. I don't get all that flexibility in the Valvetronix. They're both nice amps. That's my two cents worth. Rock on!
    goldendude88
    I have a normal AD100VT Head and Cabinet and i'm more than happy with it...I play from blues to metal to funk to rock soo that amp is great for just about everything...i tried this amp out before i bought that one tho and i cant say i liked this one very much.. i prefered having an equal amount of clean settings to choose from as distortion because i really only need one distortion that i really like if im playing for metal and then for calssic rock i use another..but the XL just seemed to have alot of lower quality distortion channels that i just couldnt get a good sound out of... I def. liked the reg. AD series better.. but try both and see which one u like better....both amps should acctually be much more expensive than what they are because of the quality of them and how great they sound
    led,rainsong
    so tube amps start to naturally break up at a higher colume than SS amps? i always thought it was the other way around and that's why classic rock is so hard to mimick with a SS amp because the break up is so small
    dilbert_5150
    I'm a happy user of the valvetronix series amplifier, and imho it rocks. It's one of the best choices you can make in this price range. Sure, it's not a tube amp, but it's able to produce quite decent sounds. You will be surprised how many other SS amps (even those with great brand naMes...) sucks comparing to this one.
    Weybl Himself
    fretsonfire74 : whats the advantage of being a hybrid amp?
    It basically means that distortion, if used, comes from the preamp, where theres a single tube (usually a 12AX7 though I'm not sure for this one) then the signal from there is made louder by a solid state power amp. When you're running clean, solid state and tube amps sound identical to the human ear (the reson your fender twins have better cleans than most ss amps is because of other sexy components that are in them, not directly from the tubes). Since the SS power amp isn't being used for overdrive, it's nice and transparent and the end result is a sound that's as close to a tube sound as you'll get without usina an all tube amp. Downside is that headroom tends to be low, since hybrid amps tend to only have one preamp valve, where all tube amps often have 2 or more. meaning they push into overdrive easily. Also, the other componentry in them tends to be not as high quality as all tube amps, further knocking the tone down. And perhaps most annoyingly, if you love old school rockin tones, you can't get that wonderful sound of an all tube power amp getting crunched up after the preamp tubes are saturated.