AD100VT review by Vox

Vox: AD100VT

Purchased from: Um... a store in Paddington..?

Tonaly, this is by far the most versatile amp out there. I play it using an Epiphone LP and an Epiphone Sheraton II, both of which use humbuckers, and it is capable of getting some lovely smooth jazzy tones, aswell as an array of twangy country/blues sounds. And with no more than the turn of a knob I can get crunchy, powerfull overdriven tones for playing classic rock, or hard-balled, mid scooped distortion for heavy metal. The distortion is about as brutal as a train wreck. When using the 'clean' amp models (see manual), the gain knob acts as a third volume control (the other two being Volume and Master). When turned any higher than about 1/3, it begins get a naural distortion when playing at louder volumes. To counter this, leave the Gain at about 1/4 or 1/3, crank the Volume knob to full, then use the Master to control how loud you want it. You'll be able to get pure tone at rather high volumes. It's also a great amp for live gigs. I play with several bands, and I use it in pubs, clubs, auditoriums and outdoor gigs, and I rarely need to crank it much over half way, otherwise it drowns out everything else.

Overall, this amp is the absolute best in its price range. I shopped around and tested pretty much every other amp on the market, but none of them could stack up to this one when it came to tone and power. No matter what you play, this amp will handle it brilliantly. I've been playing live for 2 years, and have gone through three other amps (Marshall 50DFX, Orange 'Crush' 30, and a Line 6 Spider II 30) and none of them can come close to beating this one. If it were lost or stolen, I'd buy two more just in case it happened again.

I've owned this amp for about a month and a half now, and it has never shown any sign of problem. It's extremely reliable, and I trust it enough to use it without a backup when I play live. However it is very heavy, which is fitting as I am very weak.

This is a fairly new line of amplifier, and can handle pretty much whatever style you throw at it. I play predominately blues and jazz music, but I also dabble in classic rock, prog rock and heavy metal, and this amp handles them all like a dream. This variety of tones is a result of the onboard amp modeling system. It sports 11 different amp models, all of which are very accurate, including the timeless classic Vox AC15 and AC30. This is combined with valve reactor circutry, to give an authentically warm tube sound. Included also are 11 digital FX; auto wah, compressor, compressor + phaser, compressor + chorus, chorus + delay, chorus + reverb, flanger + reverb, tremolo + reverb, rotary + reverb, delay and reverb. Admittingly, I don't use most of these effects, I generally just use reverb and compressor, but that's just me. For those who do use them, there is a tap tempo button for controlling delay and a button to bypass them (put simply, it turns your effects off). It has two programmable channels which are footswitchable, however the footswitch comes seperate and is grossly overpriced. It has an external speaker outlet, headphone jack, effects loop, and another nifty little feature, a power level control knob. This determines how much wattage you use (1-100 watts), which is good for getting that proper tube sound without pissing off your neighbours by playing too loud (and believe me, this thing can go pretty bloody loud).