AD100VT review by Vox

Vox: AD100VT

I pair this amp with my Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus and my cousin's Ibanez Electro-acoustic (not sure what model). Both guitars with stock pups, and the amp's tone still stands out. Clean channels don't distort nor get muddy at high volumes. And about the distortion, if you are into heavy metal, black metal and heavy stuff, you might need an overdrive or a distortion pedal.

I've not been playing for so much time (2 years), but when it comes to sound quality and tone I'm very nitpicky. If this amp was stolen or lost I'd definitely get another one, or I might go full tube instead. I have compared it to tons of solid states and this one really kicks them out of the way.

I've gigged with this amp a couple of times and everything has been fine. I've had it for around 6 months and my only complain is that the letters (Vox) infront of the amp are very faulty. The 'V' fell off when a friend poked it with his foot accidentally during a jam session.

The amp was made this year, 2006. It has 100 watts of power and 2 Celestion speakers. It's a 'hybrid' solid state amp, it has a tube in the pre-amp. it's tone is warmer than pure solid states. It covers a vast range of tones due to it's modelled amp features and digital effects. Personally, I play trash metal, classic rock but I lean more towards indie/hard rock. I can swift through those styles easily on the Vox. Amp models and built in effects. I will give you a short idea of some of the models I mostly use. 01. Boutique Clean - modelled on: Dumble 100w head (clean channel). Whenever I get the chance to play my cousin's electroacoustic guitar, I use this amp model. Sound doesn't get muddy, not even at high volumes. 02. Black 2x12 - modelled after a Fender 'Blackface' Twin Reverb amp. 03. Tweed 4x10 - modelled on: 1959 Fender 4x10 Bassman. You can get a twangy tone using this and it's very responsive to dynamic picking. 04. AC15 - modelled on: Channel 2 of a 1962 Vox AC15. 05. AC30TB - modelled on: Vox AC30 'Top-boost'. 06. UK '70s - modelled on: 1971 Marshall 50w Plexi Head (high treble channel). 07. UK '80s - modelled on: 1983 100w Marshall JCM800 head. This model is one of my favorites- If you are a JCM800 fan, you will love how you can achieve a very similar tone with little effort. Perfect for classic rock and overdriven solos. 8. UK Modern - modelled on: Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 head (High gain channel). 09. Nu-Metal - modelled on: 100w Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier head(modern high gain channel). Do you like rectifier tones? Check out this model. 10. US Hi-Gain - modelled on: Soldano SLO100 Head (hi-gain channel). You can get a fat, crunchy tone out of this thing. I use it when I play Metallica/Megadeth stuff. 11. Boutique OD - modelled on: Dumble Overdrive Special 100w head (overdrive channel). Slash tone lovers, enjoy! Woman tone also sounds beatiful through this model. Effects: auto-wah, compressor, compressor + phaser, compressor + chorus, compressor + delay, chorus + reverb, flanger + reverb, tremolo + reverb, rotary + reverb, delay, reverb. The effects are better than most of other amp's built-in effects, but don't expect excellent wuality from them. You can save 2 personalized settings in 2 channels respectively, which is very limited if you want to use more patches during a gig. You can only use the Vox footswitch (sold separately) to change channels and bypass the effects.