AD100VT review by Vox

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Vox: AD100VT

I use a bone stock Gibson Explorer, and the sound is about as close as you can get to a traditional tube amplifiers. The clean amp models are pretty crisp, and the AC15 and AC30 amp models have that kool "chiming" sound characteristic of the Beatles. When using the UK80's setting, it is as close to a (synthesized) 1980's Marshall as you can get. What really makes this amp a cut above the others in this price range is the reactor circuitry that simulates the preamp tube and power amp combination, driving a real (frequency dependant) speaker load.

To sum it up, this the AD100VT had the best volume and tone out of all the "practice/combo/modeling" amps I tried prior to purchase. For this reason alone, I would give it a rating of 8.5-9, the best bang for the buck. Unfortunately, the reliability has proven to be substandard. One thing for sure, if the next warranty replacement amp fails, I will not purchase another new Vox amplifier! For this I would give it a rating of -1.

For me, this is a real sore spot. I have had two AD100VT's let me down over the course of 6 months. No abuse, no hot days in the sun, no soda or beer spills. Both of the died while practicing at perhaps 25% (or less) volume. Because I love the sound so much, I will try one more under factory warranty, that's the only reason I give this a rating. Period.

This amplifier was made in 2007. I was really supprised with the tone of this amplifier. Since it is a tube/transistor hybrid, I expected it to have the usual uneven balance(muddy sound)between the odd and even harmonics that is very common with transistor amplifiers, but with this amp it's not the case. The modeling features are pretty much spot on. with 11 amp models and 11 effects, it make a great sounding amp for practice or live performances. In terms of power, at 100 watts this thing has more than enough, it will rattle the windows with ease! A few features that would compliment this amplifier is a foot Switch that can switch between more than just 2 amp models, and an external wah-wah pedal that can overide the one that's built into the amp. Likewise, the sequence of adjustments neede to change effect settings tends to be a bit quirky to use.

[R]ocker.4.life
    cyclefreak207
    TMV315 wrote: Does this amp work good with effect pedals?
    i have had the same question, i am gonna try to sell my marshall mg back to guitar center and purchase the vox half stack. i was wondering though. i have a boss md-2, and a snarling dogs wonder wah, so i was wondering how well the effects will work with this amp, either because it has all these effects already, and how well it will work with the amp models. if some one could p.m. me i would appreciate it.
    swab_jocky
    Sure as hell beats my pile of shit line6 i played on it at my friends house i love this amp i'm pickin one up next month ans then i'm gonna take my line6 sp3 shooting.
    stradivari310
    [R]ocker.4.life wrote: I just bought a peavy Valveking 112 and im sendiong it back and buyingthe AD100VT.. its a way better amp!!
    You're scrapping a tube amp????
    randyaintdead82
    ahhh yes this is such a great amp you dont have to buy many distortion pedals for this but the only complaint i have is the wah cause it kinda has a weak tone but its a great amp overall
    therealbendavis
    I own this amp, traded my Line6 half stack for it. This things a beast, got lots of balls. It's such a warm sounding amp. I understand you up there about the Valveking, thats what I was gonna buy until I played this thing. Vox will not fail you. I'm personally a huge fan of combo amps, get truer tone out of them, so I purchased this one. Sounds great with my 72 tele deluxe reissue.