AD100VT review by Vox

Vox: AD100VT

I've been playing an Epiphone Les Paul, Ibanez RG-1527 and Ibanez XPT-707FX through this amp, and metal is the genre I'm usually playing. The amp isn't noisy and doesn't seem to distort at high volumes, but the noise gate can make a bit of sound. The variety of sound offered through the different models is very good, and you'll be able to get very good clean or mild overdrive sounds out of the amp alone. The metal models aren't very good, though. The sound isn't very sharp at all, it's rather blunt and muddy, although it works decently when playing chords. This problem is solved easily with a boost, distortion or overdrive pedal, though, but it requires a bit of tweaking to get it right (personally, I use the Keeley Electronics modified Ibanez TS-9DX tubescreamer). When you do, you should be able to get a good distortion out of it, be it death or black metal-style. Not awesome, though.

I've been playing guitars for 7 years, although only seriously for the last two years or so, and my gear has already been listed. I think this is a good beginner/intermediate amp if you're playing a variety of genres and don't have much money. You won't need the 100W model unless you're playing gigs, but the two speakers add a lot of depth to the sound. It plays clean very well, it has a wide variety of good twangy tones with mild overdrive, and as I said, with a boost/overdrive/distortion pedal, you'll get good metal sounds out of it, as well. The sound isn't quite satisfying all the time, but it'll do. The effects could have been set up in a more simple way, as said, but the effects are still very impressive and sound very good, and once you figure out how to work the settings, you'll be able to tweak them to perfection. This is a good amp for a variety of genres, but if you only play one genre, you might want to look for something else, because this is more like a jack of all trades, master of none. However, it's affordable, and it gives a lot of sound for the money, so a low score is out of the question. It might not fit me, as I play mostly metal, and I wouldn't buy a new one if it was broken, but that's not the amp's fault.

It's been loaded and un-loaded a few times, so I'm sure it'll hold together for as long as I need it to. The rounded edges are supposed to make it more durable, or so I'm told, so maybe that's a plus. I haven't felt the need for bringing a backup amp, and I've never had any problems with it for the year or so I've owned it.

This is a so-called hybrid amp, which means a tube pre-amp and a solid state power amp. 100 watt is more than enough for anything, and I've been using it for gigs in small venues without having to turn the volume up to the max. It's a modelling amp, so it's made to simulate the sound of other amps, so you can get a variety of sounds out of it. There's a noise gate which works all right, and the amp also offers quite the selection when it comes to effects. You can select the effects through one knob which offers many settings. Four of these settings are stand-alone effects (auto wah, compressor, reverb and delay) while the rest offer a combination of a variation of two effects (for example, chorus+reverb or compressor+phaser). This works, but I would've prefered if you had two knobs for selecting effects, and you could stack them if you wished. The properties of these effects are set by turning one of two knobs, pushing a button or a combination of the two, giving a total of four accessible settings for each effect setting. This works, but it's awfully complicated, and I don't see why they just couldn't have put on three knobs.