AD120VT review by Vox

Vox: AD120VT

I play with an Epiphone Les Paul with the standard hummies in it. I play Indie rock/metal and the amp does a great job for both. The Indie tone more so than metal, but even the metal sounds great when I crank this baby up. There is a little hum with high gain, but nothing ridiculous at all. I have literally imitated 20 famous guitar tones flawlessly. This amp is really incredible. The clean channel stays clean even at high volumes, it is really gorgeous too, as glassy as you could ever want. The distortion is a tad lacking, but I feel that a nice pedal will quickly change that opinion. The on-board distortion is just slightly lack-luster. Still sounds very nice.

Very good match for any blues/indie guitarist. Been playing for two years, and I own Line 6 Spider 3, Marshall MG half-stack, and a Fender Studio 85. This amp, takes the good features of all those amps, makes them even better, and puts them in one loud godly sounding combo, I really love this amp. The only complaints I have are the cutting out issue, and the distortion lacking. I think that both problems are an easy fix, I tip to the music shop to get the amp checked out, and a nice distortion pedal. Great solid amp for intermediate players, or even advanced players on a budget.

Here is the flaw. The amp has give me problems with cutting out at random. I'll play fine for an hour and then it cuts out. Sometimes for 30 seconds, sometimes for 3 minutes. I read online that the tubes could be loose, or the head phone jack could be dirty, making the amp think headphones were plugged in, so I checked both, and no problems so far. Still, that worries me a good bit. But I really think I could go sleigh riding with this thing, it is so heavy and solid. It almost ripped my poor arm off. But it's so sturdy I would take it anwhere with the cover on.

The amp was made in 2003, still seem solid and very nice looking. Amazing versatility, some of the best technology out there by far. Has all the ins and outs you'd expect from a high end amp, two inputs, external cabs, headphones, effects loop, and lots of and lots of effects.

klecknerb
    I picked mine up used but in immaculate condition for just under $500... with the footswitch board and a flight case! It's a phenomenal amp and I love the option of adding another 2x12 cab to tap into the full 120watts for stage use. Any price you can pick this amp up for is worth it.
    stereotypee
    How bigga diffrence the 120vt against the 100vt and the 100vth? I was thinking about getting the 100vth but our music shop only have the 100vt model. (which is a great amp) So if people with experience of them all could comment I'd appreciate it alot! Thanks
    Side Effect
    I'm really thinking about buying one of these. I found a used one with a VC-12 foot pedal included for 475 used but I'm skeptical because of all the problems I've read about cutting out. Besides, that this amp sounds really good. No one here except the first reviewer had the problem of cutting out?
    rick.hl
    jduke
    jduke
    i dont understand how people get good distortion out of this amp. I have tried everything possible from distortion pedals to tweeking as much as i can. But its always lacking way too much base and punch.
    FransTh
    rick.hl wrote: i've just bought this amp and i am already in love with it, but could anyone here tell me where i can get the user manual in .pdf, it's no longer on vox website thanks!
    FransTh
    jduke wrote: I've had the same probleme with cuting out on this amp. But after plugging it into a power bar that controles the power going to the amp i have'nt had any problemes with cutting out.
    FransTh
    Does anyone know about the existance of a forum where people share AD120VT settings. I can imaging that someone has managed a great setting for a tune or band in general. I am interested in tunes of the Shadows. It is a pity that this Amp has no PC connection like the Tonelabs LE. So the settings have to be described according to the "Programmer's Cheat Sheet" in the manual.
    FransTh
    Sorry about two previous comments. Didn't know how to handle it. The manual is still to find on the VOX website under Support > Product manuals.
    warrenguitar
    I love this amp, valves are really awesome and its just great quality! This will probably be my next amp...
    Jackp
    Hey FransTh, I just got one also-- check out Valvetronix.net The moderator Voxman is very helpful, has manuals on site, patches, and be sure to read the FAQ section. Have fun, Jack