AD15VT-XL review by Vox

Vox: AD15VT-XL

Purchased from: Big Apple Music

I use this amp with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard guitar with stock pickups, and this amp makes it sing.. One thing to be aware of, though is that this amp packs a lot of bass power, which coupled with the bass resonance of a Les Paul can be overpowering, I keep the bass EQ dialed in at around 9 o'clock at all times. I play various forms of rock, metal, jazz, and blues and this amp can match them all pretty well. If you find a preset that's close to the sound you're looking for, you can tweak it to your heart's content. The guitar's clean setting is good at low levels, but at higher levels it breaks up and moves into the realm of natural distortion, this lack of headroom is likely due to being only a 15-watt amp. The distortion presets out of the box are good, but once you dial them in to meet your taste, they can really Shine. I've managed to get many tones from dirty overdrive to very high gain distortions. This is a very good amp for hard rock and metal tones. This amp is primarily used for practice and home-recording, though the volume does get high enough to play small gigs. I've actually never turned it up all the way, but at about 3 o'clock, it's VERY loud for a 15-watt amp. This is likely due to the 10" speaker, as opposed to the 8" speaker on the base model of this amp. The sounds is great, but due to the lack of a "proper" clean sound, I'll have to mark it down.

As I stated before, I play various levels of Rock, Metal, Blues and Jazz and this amp can cover them all. I've been playing for about 5 years altogether, but I've only been serious about it for the past 3 years. I had actually intended to buy a Vox AD30 when I walked into the store, but I pointed out the wrong amp to the store clerk and was sent home with the AD15VT-XL. After trying out my friend's AD30 I believe I got the better amp, despite the wattage difference. I love nearly everything about this amp, but my favorite feature is probably the built-in compression effect. I use it religiously, to a point where I rarely disengage it. If this amp was stolen, I'd be crushed. Honestly I probably wouldn't buy another one (don't get me wrong, I LOVE this amp) because I'm planning to buy a halfstack soon so I would just use one of my older small amps in the meantime. However, this amp isn't perfect and due to the lack of a proper clean, I can't rate it above an 8 without feeling biased.

I have had this amp for a little over two years now and I have NEVER had any problems with it. It always turns on properly, the tube never misfires like other amps I've had and amps my friends own. The inputs are solid, the electronics are reliable, and the materials are rugged. I would probably not gig this amp unless it was a small venue, but if I were to gig it, I wouldn't need a backup. This is an extremely reliable little amp.

This amp was bought new, made in 2007. It has two writable channels to allow you to Switch between any two custom-set sounds, also great for saving tweaks of the 11 Amp models and 11 Effects. The two-buttom footswitch (bought separately) allows you to Switch between the two channels (button one) and bypass the effects (button two). The AD15VT-XL has a total of 8 large knobs located on the top, from left to right, they are: Amp, Gain, Volume, Treble, Middle, Bass, Effect, and Master. Under the Effects knob there are two buttons and a smaller knob, the buttons are Tap Tempo and Bypass, the knob is used for setting ranges and such for individual effects. The rear of the amp has the input for the aforementioned VFS-2 footswitch and a 1/4" output. This amp has all the features I would expect from a modeler and more. I'm not much of an effects guy, so I usually just have the effects channel set to a nice compression to increase crunch and sustain.