AD15VT review by Vox

Vox: AD15VT

I'm running this with an Ibanez Artcore AFS75, Digitech DF-7 Distortion Modeller, and an Electro Harmonix Small Clone. With this amp, I can't use the distortion pedal models on my DF-7, it seems to only accept the overdrive models for some reason without having to fiddle with my settings. It's noisy only when I try to mate it with a distortion pedal. The clean channel stays clean, unless you put the gain knob further then it's 0 position. The distortion to me can get into metal territory, although not that great. I typically use this with Foo Fighters-type of stuff, old and new along with punk and alternative. This amp does everything well.

This was a no contest decision, to say the least. None of the other amps in this price range compared to it in any way. The only thing I might look into is a bigger version of this because 15 watts is good, but I think 50 watts would be better. For 2 years of playing (one on acoustic, almost one on electric) I have come a far distance from my days of playing through book after book and making my own music. Although it's not great, whenever I need to rely on my gear to help me with a sound, it does it. This amp is a great help to everything I do. If you're looking into a solid practice amp, even for miked gigs, I would wholeheartedly suggest the Vox AD15VT.

It's held up so far to 3 crankings and many car rides to and from practices and school. All I can really ask from an amp at this stage in my guitar years.

The newest series of Vox amplifiers, the Valvetronix series, features a preamp tube to "enhance" the overall warmth of the tone. It is noticeable only to the trained ear though. Made in China, this Vox features 15 watts of hybrid power, modeling 11 different amps from Vox's own AC30 combo to a "very rare and expensive tube amp" (aka Mesa Boogie). 11 different effects compliment the tones of the amp models while retaining the original composition. The Valvetronix sereis also has a 'write' mode to save a setting you use. There are also effect editing patches, so you can control what your effects can do. No effects loops here, but comes with a line out jack and a spot for a VFS2 footswitch. 2 channels, 'clean' and 'dirty'by hand due to the lack of a footswitch. I barely ever use their combinations of their effects because they lack what I look for, so I just basically only use reverb, compression, and auto wah. This, for me, is right now a practice amp. Luckily it can be heard over drums. I plan in the future to mic it for gigs/performances until I'm able to go back to Guitar Center to get a larger version of this or the Pathfinder, just for it's extension cab out.