AD15VT review by Vox

Vox: AD15VT

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Most of the time, I use this amp with my Schecter C-1 Classic with Seymour Duncan humbuckers, that guitar is my baby. Most of the time, I play mostly heavy rock and some jazz/blues, and this combination fits my style perfectly. All of the effects come through without even the slightest amount of noise, and there are no "pop" sounds when switching between models/effects/channels, etc. When I'm feeling like playing something a little heavier, I use my Jackson JS-20 Dinky with EMG's and set to "nu-metal" this thing sounds like it's about to set the place on fire, in a good way! Also, when using the C-1 switched to either of its coil-tap (single-coil) modes, the AD15VT sounds awesome, and with a bit of distortion gets a good ska tone going on. As far as distortion on the clean channel, the stock speaker seemed to have held up pretty nicely until I replaced it. There was nothing wrong with it. I was just going for a warmer sound when I switched it out for a Weber 8" Signature (Ceramic). Since then, the amp has been significantly louder, and has more of an edge on pretty much every setting. Also, the effects shine through more clearly. Though it's not necessary by any means, this modification was pretty darn cheap ($24+s/h) and I'd recommend it if you'd like to use this amp for anything more than practice - it's loud/clear enough for small gigging!

Overall, this is a wonderful amp, especially for the price. Though I bought it on sale, you'd have a hard time finding anything meeting, much less exceeding, the quality of the Vox AD15VT. The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that sometimes, adjusting effects gets to be a bit tedious, since one knob, in combination with two buttons, is used to adjust multiple effects settings. I love the dedicated chickenhead knobs labeled volume, gain, treble, mid, bass, model, and effect. Awesome amp. Like I said, you can't beat it for the price.

I can definitely depend on this amp, especially with its new speaker. The old one was in perfect condition when I removed it, even after cranking it to volume levels 8-9 multiple times. At that level, this thing sounds so much bigger than it looks. Even at 1/2 volume on the clean channel, it drowns out a 2.1 200W stereo on its full setting. I know the comparison isn't exactly fair, seeing as how the speaker in the amp is so much bigger. I'm just trying to give you an idea of the volumes it can reach. I've only used this one a couple times at shows, because it gives off a more desirable vibe than my Fender Ultimate Chorus (130W 2x12 Solid State) at the expense of having to mic it. As of right now, after more than a year, the tube still glows and sounds beautifully, and I've got no complaints.

Vox started manufacturing this model in 2004. It has a number of amp models and effects, and while the models aren't necessarily accurate, they are good sounds regardless. My two favorite models on this amp, though, are Boutique Clean and Modern UK, the latter of which is made to simulate newer Marshall stacks. As far as channels, it has two, which are easily switchable and programmable via a number of buttons on the top. Though a footswitch would come in handy, it's a pretty expensive addition that I don't see being worth it for a practice amp. One of my favorite features on this amp is the noise gate. It manages to get rid of hissing without messing up the tone of either of the guitars I play through it. Add to that a nice set of effects, including chorus, reverd, phaser, flanger, compressor, and auto-wah, and you've got a package worthy even of gigging at small venues with a mic. I don't think Vox could possibly have added any more features for the selling price. If anything, any more effects than those that this amp has would be excessive. Might I add, this is perfect for the dorm, especially with its headphone jack.

b.c. warlock
    FaceTomorrow wrote: Ive got it and I love it
    Same here tis an awesome first amp(gets really loud)