AD15VT review by Vox

Vox: AD15VT

Purchased from: A Pawn Shop

What can I say? With all the amp selections and effects settings on this thing you can pretty much get any sound you want with this amp. I can rave on about how loud it sounds for a 15 watt amp or how I can get the perfect blues sound with my Fender Strat plugged in. But what really impresses me is with how much depth is percieved when using the headphones. It sounds as if you weren't wearing any at all, but in a soundproof room by yourself. This may not seem important at first, but when you live in a college dorm, it is a necessity. And after trying out other amps at Guitar Center while using headphones with them, nothing quite matched the sound that was provieded by the Vox. Of course I have to mention that whenever I feel like I need to play some rock, all I have to do is Switch the amp setting from Boutique clear to either UK modern, nu-metal, or US high gain. That simple.

I have only been playing for about a year but I attempt to play all sorts of music; from blues, jazz, pop, rock, metal, you name it. I have demoed the Marshall MG15CDR and with the settings set the same on both, the Vox just sounded better to me. It had a more wholesome tone to each chord that was played (I sampled the display version of the Vox as well, just to be fair even though mine sounds the same). The best thing to love is the versatility available that is nearly impossible to match for the price and the portablility that makes it the perfect bedside amp.

When I bought this, the previous owner did not take care of this thing what so ever. It must have been stored in a shed or garage next to motor oil, grease, and a ban saw because almost every bad substance was found on it and managed to seap inside. I took a gamble a bought it anyway, cleaned it completely up and replaced a couple of screws and fixed a crack along the casing. After all this, it plays like a champ. A little unorthodox yes, however if the electronics can withstand such abuse and preform this nicely after it all, I believe anything I will throw at it will be a breeze through the park.

the.spine.surfs
    I hear it's abotu even with cubes; just a preference thing. I have this one, anyway Love the UK 70's with chorus/reverb
    Farewellmyhell
    I love it. It makes my crappy First Act guitar sound acceptable. And thats saying something! All the effects are amazing (Currently in love with the Reverb/Flanger through the neck single coil ) I wish it had the older Vox look to it. I dont really care for all the chrome, but its alright. Sound comes first. I cant wait to hear some EMGs through the US Higain setting.
    shrediquette
    A lot of the reviews are saying the amp is 15 watts, its actually 23 watts, check the back of the amp, AD15VT is just the model name. I've got one of these and its the best practice amp in town. You can play quietly or crank it, it goes very loud. It could easily play over a drum set. Its got nice bluesy options or extreme metal...numetal is my favourtie setting.
    KX36
    shrediquette wrote: A lot of the reviews are saying the amp is 15 watts, its actually 23 watts, check the back of the amp, AD15VT is just the model name.
    That's 23W of electricity, 15W RMS goes to the speaker, so its a 15W amp.
    thezep wrote:Obviously it has a tube preamp, so it is naturally louder than a solid state amp.
    Actually, it has a solid state preamp and a single 12AX7 in the poweramp. confusing as a 12AX7 is usually a preamp valve.