AD15VT review by Vox

Vox: AD15VT

Purchased from: I forget.

I'm using a decent Strat knockoff with with 3 single coil pickups. It suits my music style very well and they generally get along pretty well. I play anything I can play except for metal. Is it noisy? It can get loud, but you don't have to worry about the "hum". Adjust the noise cancelling and it will take care of the him, so it's perfectly quiet when ur not playing. One thing to say about noise cancelling is that don't over do it, because it can sometimes cut off your notes a bit or make it sound weird. Aaand if the hum comes from your pickups, it will still hum when you play, but it will stop when you stop. This amp can make any sound from all types of clean with ear piercing treble to stomach upsetting bass to any type of distortion. It's a really versatile amp. I love it. 11 amp models. The clean channel is not distorted at high volumes at all, it just sounds better. If you feel like it distorts it, just turn down the gain to about 12 o'clock. There's several amp models that were made for distortion, so you can really get different types of distortion and almost all of them sound great. Awesome sound (+ the valve), but some amp models are louder than others so when you're switching between, like, Black 2x12 and UK Modern you might crap out a few bricks. And also the bass sometimes feels overpowered. Might be a good thing for some, and it's always adjustable. Just saying that it's got a pretty beast bass.

I'm still a beginner, and this is definately awesome and way more than I expected or need for home practice. I wish that the amp came with that pedal for switching channels, but it's not really that hard to press a button on the panel, so it's not a big of a deal. If something happened to this amp I would definetely get it again. And again. And again. It's just that great. Definately beats all the other amps within it's price range (like the Line 6 Spider III, looks like a joke, no chicken head knobs). I love this amp in general, especially the really shiny chrome Vox thing and the less shiny Diamond-hole speaker cover. Looks like a good amp, smells like a good amp, sounds like a good amp. Sick amp overall, not perfect but pretty damn close. Get it.

I think it's pretty reliable, because it looks like it's pretty sturdy and can take a beating. I don't think D'd need backup. The amp hasn't broken yet, but I haven't had it for long, so for now it's a perfect 10.

The amp was made sometime in 2004. The AD15VT 15 watt amp is extremely versatile due to it's 11 amp models and 11 effects, both highly customizable. I play pretty much anything except for metal, but this amp might actually be alright for metal. It has 2 channels that you can Switch at a touch of a button, or at a push of a pedal if you buy one for 20 bucks (which in my opinion, should've been included with the amp, but whatever) As I said before this amp does have 11 effects, but it kinda doesn't, because most of the effects are a combination of 2 effects. I was a little dissapointed at first by this, because I somehow expected 11 separate effects that you could maybe mix, but then I realized that it actually works pretty well. You select the amp model with a knob, and not just any knob, a chicken head knob! On top of this, you got knobs for gain, volume, treble, middle, bass and master volume, so you can get pretty much any sound you want. The effects are also selected with a chicken head knob and each effect is customizable by a pretty weird setup of 2 buttons and a regular old boring no chicken head knob. You have a "tap" button, an "edit 1" knob and a "bypass" button. Tap+edit 1 is "edit 2" and edit 1 + bypass is "edit 3". Really confusing, especially at first, but with the helpful chart of all the effects and what each button and knob does right on the sheet of cartboard that I don't plan on taking off my amp anytime soon, it's not that bad. There's also a pretty useless "Preset" button that you push and you get some weird preset sound with an effect that I guess some guy though would sound cool. I think I'm gonna replace that buton with a miniature cup holder. On top of all that, the AD15VT has an input and output/headphones jack and ZOMG, a power switch! I use this amp at home, in my room and ocasionaly in the little club house made of matresses, old pillows, newpapers and shattered dreams of everybody in the world, and this amp is way louder than I need it to be, which is great! For a 15 watt practice amp it can get really loud, but I don't think it would do good, well against a set of drums, though so I'm not sure how it would do on a gig. It definately has more than enough power for me though. A feature that's worth noting is that it has a small 12AX7 tube in the back which makes it sound even better than it's legally allowed to. Oh, and also it has adjustable noise cancelling. Dimensions: 6.85 in.(W) x 8.82in.(D) x 15.55in.(H) 22 Pounds. Speaker is 8 inches.

Nessander
    I just got this amp used for 50 bucks, and I love this thing! I got it as a practice amp, since my Vox AC15 is really heavy to lug around (80 lbs) and sits in my studio. I haven't fooled around with all the settings, but just setting it to model the AC15 with some chorus and reverb is great, and I can get a good sound out of it with my LP. If you can pick up one of these used it is a fantastic practice amp for the money. However, I doubt if you could use it live except in really small venues and I'm surprised people would claim it can play alongside drums -- I'd doubt that, unless your drummer plays really quietly!
    bpazolli
    I want this amp but I don't know if I can spend the money but I understand it has 1 valve for a preamp and a solid state poweramp which if you ask me is the way to do it, a poweramp shouldn't add character thats the preamp, transistors were made to amplify without changing the signal at all
    steve.howard
    I just got this as a grad present from my parents, it's my second amp (replacing a really awful Crate GLX 30W that still can't even come close in volume without breaking down). I love it, especially the noise reduction (if you have the effects bypassed and hold down the tap button, you can adjust the sensitivity; I put it all the way to the right and can't even tell when I forget to turn it off).
    pig god 121
    xFinnellx
    pig god 121 wrote: woa im getin this amp after ive sold my drums this amp must be the god of amps but anyway shud i chose a spider over this ??
    fudge no dude, spyders suck ass. i have this beast and just let it settle. its user freindly and itl do what u want. for me, the clean sounds a little weak and boring (but thats also cuz im usin seymour invaders) i havent gone too far with volume but all i know is that my windows rattle more than a 80 watt 212. easily boasts well. if u gigin then i recomend 2 30 watts. very stable and subtle. the crunchy stuf is good at the uk modern an nu-metal settings. boutique od is too fuzzy and hides the tone. if ur playin a matchbook romance/greenday alternative tone then this is great. u mite consider a distortion pedal if ur gonna play stuff close to a avenged sevenfold tone. i just use a digitech ex7 cuz its just a better way to go for a great add on. But when putting a different branded pedal in it seems to bypass that "tube" warmth a smudge and kinda hits straight for ur presets and speaker.