AD30VT-XL review by Vox

Vox: AD30VT-XL

Purchased from: Zzounds

I use an Ibanez RGT342FX and I play mostly metal and various other genres of rock. It suits my style perfectly and no it is not noisy at all. I play in front of a computer and I barely get any feedback. There's also a noisegate but I don't like using it because it kills your sustain. The distortion on this amp is great. However the super high gain setting won't get you that Master of Puppets sound. Instead you get this very slightly fizzy high gain sound that has a lot of clarity. I could describe all the other distortion channels but that'd take me forever so I'll just talk about the clean channels. Funked has a twangy saturated tone and glass has this silky... glassy sound. And I've mention this before but you can't distort the clean channels no matter how high you crank it witch is dumb as hell if you ask me.

Overall this is a pretty nice budget amp that's great for metal. If this was lost or stolen I probably wouldn't buy it again. Instead I'd save up for a REAL tube amp. I love how simple and easy it is to use and how many different distortion models it has but I hate how that knob in the back for adjusting the wattage is practically useless since you can't overdrive the clean channels. It also really doesn't really change your tone very much so to me it's just another volume knob. I compared it to the Cube and if you ask me this amp is better in both the clean and metal department. So yeah, overall great amp for it's price. Buy it if your looking for a deal.

This amp is very reliable and it's built like a tank (cliche I know). I'd be careful with it anyway since it has a tube in it. This amp has never broken down. However it did sound wierd for a bit after I used my pedal but I just unplugged it and left it alone for a while and it was back to it's usual self.

30 watts, I don't know exactly when it was made but I know it's quite new, 11 models, (2 clean/9 distortion), it has 2 channels for saving your settings, a knob that allows you to go from 0 watts to 30 and anything inbetween, and it has 11 effects. Pretty much all of the effects but the reverb and chorus are useless. They just aren't tweakable enough. It also has one useless tube in it but don't take that the wrong way. It sounds better than most SS amps. This amp is versitile in the rock department thanks to the 9 different distortions ranging from a light overdrive to zomgbr00tal. However it only has 2 clean channels and you can't overdrive them without a pedal =(. Vox put some wierd "gain cap" on the clean channels and because of this the amp doesn't accept pedals very well. I tried using my DS-1 and it sounded like someone covered my amp with a blanket.

atreyurock9
    I played the 50 watt version at a local music store and it was LOUD but very noisy... Maybe it was a lemon? Anyways, if someone's buying in this price range, they're better of going with the regualar AD30VT IMO. Way more versatile. Not quite as loud but loud enough and a lot better sound quality.
    Andrewxox
    I have one. For some reason it has random moments where it switches to the delay effect when I don't even mess with the effect dial. Another thing I don't like is that the volume has a complete fit when you change the model channel. My friend has an AD50VT, and I'm thinking of getting an amp from that series if this amp gets any worse.