AD30VT-XL review by Vox

Vox: AD30VT-XL

Purchased from: Advance Music (VT)

I'm currently playing with a Squire Strat, which pisses me off. But for the style that I play, which includes: rock, and metal, It is great. I use the "Modern" amp model around with the settings as follows: Gain-@5 Treble- 8 Mid-10 -Bass 2-3 I boost the signal with my EQ pedal to give it more punch.It is a little hissy when I play directly from my guitar to the amp. But that's most likely from my guitar. As I stated before, there are loads of great tones to be found in the Ad30, you just need to know how to tweak it. The clean channels are great, At 5 volume there is no distorted sound, Again I have not gone past 5 volume, but for my purposes it's great at 5. the distortion is a little lacking I think. You need an EQ or boosting pedal to really give it a good heavy distortion

As I said before, I play rock and metal, This amp is great for the styles. I've been playing just over 2 years, and use a squire strat, which will be replaced soon, and a Behringer EQ700. If I lost this amp I probably would not but another, because I'm looking to go all tube. Absolutely love the effects in this amp. But, I wish I were able to use more than one effect per channel. When I got this amp, I also played a Roland Cube 30 and Line 6 Spider 3. Out of the three amps This one was definitely the best. the Spider, was what you can expect of a spider, and the Cube sounded a bit too bland to me.

I have had no problems with this amp at all, and this was the floor model at the store, so it had been played quite a bit. I would gig with this IF, and only IF I were playing solo or had a PA system, 30 watts SS would be a little lacking for a gig.

This is a very versatile amp from Vox's 'Valvetronix' modeling series. With 11 amp models that model the sounds of the AC series Vox amps and many others, you can get a lot of great tones from this amp. There are 11 preset channels, a "manual" and two custom channels to save your own preset sounds. You can purchase a foot switch, which runs about 25 USD. There's also a headphone jack, which I don't use. I use this amp in my bedroom and it's plenty loud enough for me. I've never really cranked it past 4.5, but I can only imagine.

drdreth
    ive playd both the regular ad30vt and the xl and i just had to buy the xl. I've got an ibanez with emgs, but i can get it all the way up to damaged model just for hard rock, so this is dam versatile and definitely not only for metal, and the clean sound is WAY better on the xl as well imo.
    HELLSHREDD
    The XL version is 4 METAL. Ive tried all these amps & all I can say is get the 50 watt version , it has a closed back & sounds wicked. The 100 watter has an open back & SOUNDS like crap. I havnt tried the 30 but if it has a closed back i bet it sounds better than the 100. I also tried all the VT versions that are not XL & they dint cut the mustard for METAL at all , so get the 50 watter & BE VERY HAPPY PERIOD.
    kelstermcgil
    The AD30VT-XL is a close backed amp. It sounds great. I play a Brian May Red Special clone made by Star's. It has phase switching with Tri-Sonics pick-ups. With the built in effects on the amp and the phase switching p'ups, I use zero outboard gear. Awesome!
    lloyd91
    i have vox velvetronix ad30vt-xl i would like to trade for velvetronix ad30vt i play blues and rock but not really metal.. xl for metal..anyone?
    Chaz22
    They were very wrong about not being able to use a pedal on the clean channel. I use a Metal Muff in front of the GLASS channel and can get any sound i want. I use a Jackson with a JB in the bridge. It can go from Van Halen to Metallica to Megadeth easy. You just have to screw around with the EQ. And there is no Gain Cap if you use a pedal with its own gain anyway!
    JiMEE
    So, is it possible to use a Pedalboard on the clean channel of this amp (ad30vt-xl)? I have a Boss ME-50 peadalboard and would like to use it with this amp for some classic rock and vintage sounds. Thanks in advance for your help