AD30VT review by Vox

Vox: AD30VT

Purchased from: Drome Sound

I have 3 electric guitars I use with this, one has humbuckers, one has soapbars, and one has single coils. I can dial in really good sounds with any of them, although each guitar definitely has its own preferences. I play all varieties of rock (except for any incarnation of "metal" - death metal, nu-metal, thrash metal, I killed my mom for a nickel metal, etc), with my favorites being "art rock" (Jeff Buckley, Radiohead, etc) and '90s alternative rock. The amount of useable, musical tones this amp can make is immesurable, although some of the distortion channels are too similar for my liking (UK modern v. nu-metal, for example). The middle models (AC10 through UK '80s) respond well to having their gain either pushed or backed off. The clean-oriented models break up well for a searing blues tone. One complaint I have tone-wise is that it's too bassy. You can never really get a truly bright, glassy tone out of the amp. I think they could've made the EQ section a bit more dynamic. That being said, the AD30VT is the best sounding of its brethren because the 10" speaker; the strong bass tendencies of the amp get really, really muddy with the 12" speaker of the AD50 or AD100.

I've been playing for about 10 years. I've owned four or five other amps in my life, but this is my first hybrid and my first modeling amp. This amp is the best one available for the money. Its tonal qualities blows its digital competition out of the water (I tried a few Line 6's along side this amp and let my ears choose). I wish they would've tossed in a footswitch, the optional one only has 2 buttons anyway. I would replace it instantly if it ever was stolen. This amp is capable of producing at the very least a credible sound for whatever genre of music I'm playing. At best, it sings. I give it a 10 because of its low price and the size and quality of the sound you get for that money. If you're looking for a small amp and you dabble in lots of different genres of music, definitely consider this amp. Word to the wise, though this one you'll definitely want to get the manual for, especially if you want to appreciate the authenticity of the analog modeling.

I wouldn't gig with this amp unless I was playing a small, coffee house-type venue, but that's just because of the size. Seems sturdy enough. I like the top-mounted knobs, too. It's too bad more companies don't do this (I ripped 2 at once off my Mesa/Boogie, that was a $150 repair).

All the metal-faced Valvetronix amps come with the same number of amp models (11), three band EQ, gain and volume control with master volume. The AD30VT also comes with 11 on-board FX settings. There is a preset button for hearing the amp's settings from the factory; a manual button, for hearing the amp the way the knobs are set; and 2 channels for saving custom programs. No footswitch comes with the amp, but can be bought separately. The wattage going through the power amp section is adjustable for. 1-30 watts. There's a headphone/line out jack that kills the speaker when something's plugged into it.