AD30VT review by Vox

Vox: AD30VT

Purchased from: The Guitar Store, Salisbury

I personally play emo, punk and the odd bit of metal, not forgetting classic rock such as Queen. I stick rigidly to the bridge humbucker on my guitar to get the best tones. But overall it sounds great for my styles and the odd lick from elsewhere. With the volume up high and the wattage set to any setting, the sound is awesome, no hum, and it's brilliantly clear (as long as you want that). Unfortunately, with the Drive low on clean amp models, it is rather quiet and some distortion is required to get similar volumes to the distorted channels, which is not always great.

Vox and BCRich may seem an odd combination to some, but the tones I desire are easy to find and perfect. Comparing it to my practice amp, a 10-watt Marshall, it leaves the little amp standing, not only in terms of volume, but tone. I would quite happily buy another Vox, but perhaps the 50-watt equivilent - AD50VT. I love the tones, the only criticism is the volume of clean models. The next thing is to buy the accompanying pedal and or a Tonelab SE or similar.

This amp will easily tabe a bit of heavy-handedness and at a high volume beating up the speaker, it is at it's happiest. I have never had any problems and if it were a dog, I would trust my life with it.

This amp is about as versatile as you are going to get. From acoustic tones to electric tones, and from bluesy tones to thrash-metal tones; you can get pretty much any sound from this awesome amplifier. It is great for the classic rock sounds of the 70's and 80's and sounds awesome for modern metal. The amp model Switch gives you 10 options and when in manual mode the posibilities are endless. Unfortunately, you can only preset 2 channels, which can be irritating if more are required. It has a headphone jack, but no speaker output. It has all the effects you are likely to need included, but only one can be assigned to each channel. Any others that exist are likely to be there more for novely value than anything else. Currently, I use this amp for my garage and jamming with friends of mine. For this it is perfectly adequate, and I am assured that it is powerful enough for gigs. The 'Valvetronix' technology works similar to a regular tube amp and gives it all the awesome tones it needs. Like a normal tube amp, after a couple of seconds to warm up, it likes to be as loud as the wattage will allow, and Vox have realised that neighbours don't always want to hear what you play, just so you get the tone. Therefore they have added a Switch to alter the wattage so that the tone is always there. It also features a noise reduction system, so that when you're not playing, it cuts out that annoying hum you get on some amps.