AD30VT review by Vox

Vox: AD30VT

Purchased from: www.gak.co.uk

I am currently using it with an Epiphone Les Paul Special II, and it plays like a dream. I can play most styles with it thanks to it's range of built-in amp models, with presets that are typical settings on those amps. It does however take quite a bit of tweaking to get the sound you want if you don't want to use a preset, and it can hiss and crack if the gain is turned up to high on some amp models. It has a noise reduction setting, which is excellent, but when turned to full, it can cut out some notes completley. I have yet to explore it's full range of sound, I mainly use the Numetal and UK Modern amp modes for a heavy metal kind of sound, usually with a delay or reverb effect which are built in. You can bypass these effects if you wish simply by pushing a button, but the effects are superb, and you can adjust the parameters so they sound different. I honestly don't think you could buy a better Wah effect than the one that is built into this amp.

I play many styles of music that fit into rock, and I think this amp is a good match for me. I have been playing for over a year now, and own an Epi Les Paul Special II, as well as some multi FX and a DigiTech Stompbox, all of which work well with the amp. If it were lost or stolen, I'd be pretty pissed off, and might consider the 50 watt model instead, or a Marshall Micro Stack. I love it's appearance, the aluminium grill and the way the controls are on top of the amp, as opposed to on the front as I'm used to with the Marshalls, it saves crouching down all the time. I don't like the hissiness you get sometimes though, and I think there are a lot of stompboxes you'd have a job using it with. The effects already built in reduce the need for stompboxes though, and one of my favourite features is probably the the Auto-wah. I chose this amp over a Marshall MG30, and I'm sooo glad I did.

This is a very dependable amp, but I wouldn't use it on a gig without a backup, I've heard the tubes can blow with quite serious consequences also. Despite this, I have used the amp for hours everyday for about 2 months now, and never experienced any major problems. I thought it wise to register with Vox for servicing though, as it seems the tube amps require a lot more servicing and attention.

This is an extremely versatile tube amp, I play various styles, classic rock, blues, metal and it caters for all. It features two switchable channels, with 11 built-in amp types and 11 high quality effects. As you can see, it comes well equipped for any guitarist, and I can't really think of any more features I'd like to see on it. I use it as a practice amp in my bedroom, and it has a power level knob on the back designed for the purpose of toning down the power to 5 watts, for private practice, and then you can turn it back up to 30 if you want to play on a small stage. When up to full, it is extremely loud, and I've never turned the master volume up high on 30 watts, so it could easily perform on a stage I reckon.