AD30VT review by Vox

Vox: AD30VT

Purchased from: an eBay Shop

I use a Fender Standard Stratocaster so I use the single coil pickups which sound great and can really match those tones I need. I mostly play funk, blues and a standard rock tone which this amp gives a fantastic range of sound for all of these genres. But it could do many more and I've even found some good metal tones for the people who like that kind of thing. It's a fairly loud amp at full power and enough for small gigs but I personally like to mic up the amps if I want a louder sound than having to carry round some 120watt beast (like the Crate I previously owned). The distortion can a crunchy tone to sound great, and especially if you want a nice blues sound.

Personally I love this amp and it's perfect for me, if it was stolen I would definatly buy another one. I especially love the amount of tones available and I prefere this to many Marshalls I tried before. I feel a useful feature could of been a built in tuner which I miss from my previous amps. However this a fantistic piece of guitar hardware which I could easily fully recomend to anyone.

As I said before, this uses it's a valve amp which means its bound to break down sometime. Which means as it could blow anytime at all so I always make sure I have a backup. It's a robust little amp with a metal grill that's taken a few bashes but nothing has damaged it. There's also a problem where the lead socket where it falls into the amp which many owners have comented on but apart from the valve I would say it was a fairly reliable amp.

The Vox Valvetronix series caught my eye a while ago, so after playing one of these at my local music shop, I realised I needed to own one. It contains a single tube so it's a hybrid but it works quite well. This amp has a fantastic range of features including 11 different amp models and 11 built in effects. This goes from a Boutique Clean tone to a US high gain which gives you a very wide variety of tones for different styles. The effects included are your standard effects (auto wah, reverb, chorus) but I was happy to find it included things like compressor and flange. However it uses three different edit knobs so you can shape the effect, which gets complicated. And all the knobs with two volumes, a power knob (which lets you change the power, from 30watt to about 1 watt) and all these buttons on the top make it a complicated little amp to get used to.